Rooster Chat

Pics
Yesterday I went outside to discover that one of my roosters had gotten out of the bachelor cage. It took me a while to catch him and when I finally did, I just put him in the main coop and told him to go visit for a bit as we were on our way to the timber to harvest wood.

An hour later when we got back Dos, the escapee rooster and Primo, his hatching brother who is the rooster in the main coop acting as lieutenant to the flock master, were going at it hot and heavy. I don't interfere. They have done this before and what I do is wait till they wear themselves out and then intervene.Usually one or the other calls it quits before then but this time neither seemed willing to do that. They were so tired that the most they were doing was making half hearted attempts to dive at one another's combs and wattles and bump chests. Their wings were hanging on the ground and they were panting like little steam engines. I saw my opportunity and simply went in and picked up the escapee cockerel, Dos. He seemed relieved to be rescued at that point. I set him down near their water bowl and he stayed their drinking his fill. On the way by, Primo was doing the same thing.Sitting beside his water dish so all he had to do was dip his head in and get a drink. They were both exhausted.This morning Dos looks like he has gone 8 rounds with a prize fighter. Primo definitely lived up to his name.

Roosters are going to be roosters. As long as they are not trying to seriously injure one another or kill one another, I let them work it out between themselves. In the past I have dowsed them with a bucket of water if things get too violent. Sometimes it works but sometimes it doesn't.

Thank you for sharing. I have been very lucky so far with my fellers. I keep a close eye on my two oldest in case they turn nasty as they age. They both have huge spurs but they do not use them. I let them keep their spurs due to the Hawks we have here.

I'm glad my peafowl have taken over keeping the calm in the overall flock. I was in a car accident 2yrs ago & walking/running isn't my best skill anymore. :D

I'm glad my peafowl have taken over keeping the calm in the overall flock. I was in a car accident 2yrs ago & walking/running isn't my best skill anymore.
big_smile.png
Mine either uzisuzuki. I injured my back 3 years ago and suffer from chronic pain so bending and chasing isn't high on my list of favorite things to do either. That's why I just referee and hope they don't get too serious in their power struggles to the point that I have to dive in and separate them before they exhaust themselves.

Maybe I should try to convince my DH that we need a pair of peafowl to keep the chickens in line....nah, he'd never fall for that.
big_smile.png

BTW your birds are beautiful.

Mine either uzisuzuki. I injured my back 3 years ago and suffer from chronic pain so bending and chasing isn't high on my list of favorite things to do either. That's why I just referee and hope they don't get too serious in their power struggles to the point that I have to dive in and separate them before they exhaust themselves.

Maybe I should try to convince my DH that we need a pair of peafowl to keep the chickens in line....nah, he'd never fall for that.
big_smile.png

BTW your birds are beautiful.
Thank you! I didn't plan to ever have peafowl - the peacock showed up in my chicken yard on my car accidents 1yr anniversary and never left, so I ended up scrambling to find a couple of hens for him before the bird swaps stopped. That's pretty much exactly how I ended up with chickens! A tiny Sebright rooster showed up and adopted me, so I ended up buying some hens for him and then Chicken Math took over! :lol:

I'm wondering...my ladies are not laying yet, but I think we are getting very close to our first egg. They are all 17 weeks. My boys are finally figuring out how to do the "deed", but the ladies still fight and make a big fuss. Once they are laying, will they eventually just submit and stop fighting, or will there always be chaos with this part of their life?
1f414.png
2764.png
1f413.png

Is it possible for a rooster to not crow? I have 2 silver laced cochins. Both were supposed to be hens. But 1 has gotten a very large comb.And looking at pictures of this breed, he looks more rooster than hen. But he isn't dominant either, which I assumed roosters would be. No crowing yet and he is 3 1/2 months. Is it possible I'm wrong?

Is it possible for a rooster to not crow? I have 2 silver laced cochins. Both were supposed to be hens. But 1 has gotten a very large comb.And looking at pictures of this breed, he looks more rooster than hen. But he isn't dominant either, which I assumed roosters would be. No crowing yet and he is 3 1/2 months. Is it possible I'm wrong?
3 months can be young for so slower maturing breeds to start crowing. I'm assuming it large breed not bantam.

3 1/2 months is still a baby. I have six three months' old cockerels and only one is starting to crow (but still doesn't sound like a real crow.) That means five haven't attempted yet.

Back
Top Bottom