Rooster Chat

Pics
Some questions about rehoming roosters...

We've finally accepted that our 11-week-old Black Australorp "pullet" is actually a rooster. Since he's going to be rehomed with friends of ours, there really is no rush to get him over there (as long as he doesn't start crowing, we can't keep roosters where we live.)

Is there an optimal time (for the rooster) to rehome? They have another cockerel that's a couple weeks older but they free range their chickens on 18 acres and have more than enough pullets and hens so we're hoping they can co-exist. They've had more than one rooster in the past.

We will be out of town for 2.5 weeks when he will be 13-15.5 weeks. Is he likely to start crowing then? I don't want our house sitter to have to deal with the drop off, and I'm sure the kids would like to say goodbye.

Some questions about rehoming roosters...

We've finally accepted that our 11-week-old Black Australorp "pullet" is actually a rooster. Since he's going to be rehomed with friends of ours, there really is no rush to get him over there (as long as he doesn't start crowing, we can't keep roosters where we live.)

Is there an optimal time (for the rooster) to rehome? They have another cockerel that's a couple weeks older but they free range their chickens on 18 acres and have more than enough pullets and hens so we're hoping they can co-exist. They've had more than one rooster in the past.

We will be out of town for 2.5 weeks when he will be 13-15.5 weeks. Is he likely to start crowing then? I don't want our house sitter to have to deal with the drop off, and I'm sure the kids would like to say goodbye.
The younger the better. They still should probably plan on keeping him penned separately within the coop for a few weeks before trying to integrate him though.

The younger the better. They still should probably plan on keeping him penned separately within the coop for a few weeks before trying to integrate him though.
Yup! That's what I would do...I believe that the crow goes along with an increase in hormones as the cockrel matures. They will have to work out who's on top, but might be easier if you introduce them as youngsters.

Just curious.My cockeral in the mroning is rowdy.he is about 3 months of age.I noticed whenever they start reinforcing order in the mornings,he grabs the pullets by their backs,not letting go.Is he trying to mate?

Just curious.My cockeral in the mroning is rowdy.he is about 3 months of age.I noticed whenever they start reinforcing order in the mornings,he grabs the pullets by their backs,not letting go.Is he trying to mate?
He's trying to dominate them, that behavior aroud will often land him in rooster jail if it's too severe. Unfortunately many little roosters go through that stage. My older roosters will sometimes step in and chase him off.

Two of the pullets usually do not take that mess off him (When they fight,he does little easy pecks,the pullets grab his comb,and neck,it's harsh...)

Two of the pullets usually do not take that mess off him (When they fight,he does little easy pecks,the pullets grab his comb,and neck,it's harsh...)
He's just a baby yet, with a hint of hormones...if he is thinking of mounting at three months old...give him a couple more months and he will probably turn the tables on the girls. If the girls are really going after him, drawing blood. Isolate him within view of the flock till he's a bit older. If they aren't really hurting him...just let nature take its course...if he's going to be a good rooster he will learn...I've got a nice CLB rooster that used to run screaming from the older hens when they turned on him...not anymore. So there's hope.

Back
Top Bottom