rooster check?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by affacat, Jul 9, 2011.

1. affacat

affacat Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    Owning roos is illegal in my city... we've got 4 peeps about 10 weeks old. Can any of you please assure us we don't have a secret roo? I saw another thread about a dark brahma turned roo so we're a bit concerned.

MACADAMIA (dark brahma) with almond (silver laced wyandotte) cut off on the right:
    [​IMG]

FILBERT (americauna)
    (this was actually an attempt to take a picture of macadamia... filbert ran in and gave us 'the look'):

[​IMG]

WALLY (blackstar -- sexlinked, so definitely a hen, but we're just proud parents at this point so are sharing)
    [​IMG]

ALMOND -- no clear photo came out, but you can see part of her in the first photo. if you think she might be a roo, we can get a clearer picture.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I can't tell you about the other two but the dark brahma is a roo, sorry. [​IMG]

3. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    Quote:I don't see what your seeing. I see all hens.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  4. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    yes agreed, I have 2 pair dark brahma and yours is a roo!

5. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    the only one that looks like it to me from these pictures might be Wally, but since you know it's not then not her! Maybe a new set of pics would help w/ the others. ??? I have no clue w/ Americaunas I had one that we thought was a hen until it started crowing!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  6. affacat

May 21, 2011
    wow. macadamia seems to have 2 votes for roo, and 2 votes for hen.

i will get some more photos of mac promptly... back in a few.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Of the three common colors of brahma available in the US - dark, light and buff - only the dark roos feather out differently than the hens. If that was a dark brahma hen (pullet) it would have white penciling, not large areas of black and white.

This is a young dark brahma cockerel. The pullet behind him and to the right is a dark brahma pullet.

[​IMG]

I'll have to go to our other computer to see if I can find better pics of my dark brahma girls when they were young.

8. affacat

May 21, 2011
    three more pics of Macadamia....

NOTE -- she's by far the most docile/friendly of the bunch... was hoping hoping hoping she wasn't a roo!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Most definitely roo.

Here's a young, maybe 4 month old, dark brahma pullet- see the allover penciling?:

[​IMG]

Here's another shot of Thor (dark brahma roo)when he was very young:

[​IMG]

10. affacat

May 21, 2011
    saddest news ever.

we're not allowed to have roos within city limits. and she's (he's) so adorable and friendly.

ugh. is there any way to keep a rooster from crowing? rooster muffler? soundproof box!? anything?

we're not going to be okay with getting rid of her, especially anywhere that might slaughter her/him. (still in denial)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by