Rooster chick with weird leg.

Took Ginoy to the vet today, vet said there isn't anything we can do and it isn't painful. That was a huge weight off of my chest, I was worried he was in pain. I am perfectly fine with a rooster that has a bum leg, we aren't all perfect.
1f603.png

Sometimes that's all we need to hear. From the sounds of it, I bet he'll do quite well just like my Cleopatra. I bet it'll be a hoot to see him try to mate with the girls when he comes of age, lol. Cleopatra cracks me up when she "runs" across her yard - wings flapping to help w/balance, hopping, she can really go fast when she wants to
smile.png

Agree Ciqala, I just needed the reassurance I was doing the right thing. My vet is amazing! We went into the exam room, watched Gimpy walk on the floor, felt his leg, did some flex tests, set him back in the carrier then told me he just had a bum hock and it wasn't painful. And the best part I wasn't charged, my vet took time out of his surgery schedule to come look at a month old bird. I'm so happy for Gimpy! I can't wait to see him running hobbling around either!

We have an 8 week old Ameraucana pullet with the same exact problem. I tried finding the tendon to move in her knee, but after many tries, it either isn't there, or I'm not brave enough to do anything drastic and hurt her. I'll try the vet wrap since she pulled off the homemade ace bandage with velcro I put on her last weekend. Her name is "Little Wing" and she's a beauty. She rests when she needs to, and the others cuddle with her when they are resting outside. I don't have the heart to cull her, so we'll do our best to help her along and modify the coop/roost for her to be comfortable. The things we do for our babies :)

Back
Top Bottom