Rooster/cockerel set up

NNYchick

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 15, 2017
Harrisville, NY
Anyone have picture of there bachelor pads inside coop? I am going to section off my 28x8 area and give the boys 8x8 area separate from the hens and pullets. I would have 1 rooster and 2 cockerels all silkies in this area. I’m doing this because I want to start selective breed and give the girls a break. I plan to use plastic lattice for the division. Will it be an issue that they can still hear and see the hens? Building them their own coop is not an option right now.

My separated roosters, or cockerals can see everyone. They still can participate through the fence. Mine are just pens. Some bigger than others.

How many boys? Not all roosters get along well enough to be penned together long term. So be sure to be ready to separate if necessary.

I find if they grew up together they get along better if separated in groups before 4 months of age. After that there can be some troubles with fighting in my experiences.

I currently have 1 rooster, 2 cockerels that are 8 months old and possibly a couple of 13 weeks old. Currently they all live together with the girls. I also have not seen any fights Or posturing or evidence of fights, the cockerels pretty much steam clear of the rooster. At least between the boys however some of the hens get after the cockerels. I have 20 silkies total, 9 are only 13 weeks old. I’m not really seeing signs of the girls being over breed, I would like to start collecting eggs in February to hatch so if I separate now I will be able to control which boys fertilized the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom