Litter Tray materials

crystalsc

Songster
Jul 20, 2023
Greenville, SC
Hello. I have a plywood crate I’m planning to put legs on and turn it into a litter box and build the roost bars over it. I have just 4 barred rock hens. I have an 8x8 walk-in coop. The tray is 6” deep. Initially I was going to build a clean out window & just create a deep litter area but the slope of my lot makes the wheelbarrow height too low to the ground for roosting bars. SO…

I’ve read it’s great to use PDZ in the litter tray mixed with another material. I read that sand is good but it’s not compostable. Composting is very important to me. So my question is can I use hemp with PDZ mixed in for my 6” deep litter box? Can I also use the hemp on the floor inside the coop?

Let me run this idea by you..
Make your litter box,,, but don't fill it that much. PDZ also does not compost if I am correct. :idunno It does absorb much of the liquid such as horse urine,, one of the primary uses of it.
Mix a batch of 50% PDZ, and other 50% sand.
Line the litter box with about 2 to 3 inches deep. Then use a kitty litter scooper to sift out the gumdrops every so often,,,,,, as needed. Drop that contents into your compost pile.
Every so often, you will need to ether add to,, or replace your PDZ/sand mixture. I see no problem adding that to your compost pile. After all, you are going to add that to your garden... Sand and the PDZ will provide good drainage in your soil. If you see that you still don't want that in your compost,,, then just throw it out.
You can use Hemp on the floor,,, but I do not have any experience with it. Most people choose pine shavings as first choice. If I am correct,, HEMP does get somewhat pricey compared to other floor bedding options.
I personally use hay as my floor bedding choice. When I do a coop floor cleanout,,,,,, on bare floor, I first sprinkle a small quantity if DE. Follow with a layer of PDZ,, and then I add my HAY... The hay is of course purchased Alfalfa, or Timothy hay bales. During summer, I have dried my lawn clipped/bagged grass, and used it similarly.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

I’ve read it’s great to use PDZ in the litter tray mixed with another material. I read that sand is good but it’s not compostable. Composting is very important to me. So my question is can I use hemp with PDZ mixed in for my 6” deep litter box? Can I also use the hemp on the floor inside the coop?
You actually don't even need to mix the PDZ with anything. You can just put a thin layer on the dropping board by itself. I use coffee ground litter for my dropping board, but that is difficult to find (I think only Rural King sells it), so if I don't have that, I just use Sweet PDZ alone. I would not use hemp on the dropping board as it will not "sift" like kitty litter and would be more of a pain than anything. Hemp for the floor of the coop is a great option. It is costly. but if you're doing a deep bedding situation, it can last a long time!

Thank you all so much! This has been extremely helpful. It’s amazing how I watched videos and read for 2 years before getting chicks and yet I still have tons of questions. :) I appreciate the help!
And you will have tons MORE questions as you continue your chicken parenting journey! The good news is: most of the people here at BYC are kind, helpful, and knowledgeable! I've turned to this forum, looking for answers, more times than I can count, and I almost always find very helpful answers!! 🐔❤️🐥

I too use a thin layer of PDZ on the poop boards, sift out poop every day and put it in a bucket that goes to a composting friend.
Here's some posts about it, they're kind of old, but changes are noted.
...and the threads these posts are in has a ton of examples of poop boards.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-111#post-13179595
Updates:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-178#post-18966048

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
- Large flake pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 9 years.

You can buy pdz (zeolite ) as a garden soil additive. I put it in my composter. I use pdz and a cat litter scoop and just refill the pdz (plus a little diatomaceous earth to keep any bugs away) when needed for months until a full cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom