I have a full bag of pine shavings

SamIamNam786

Songster
Aug 10, 2023
Central NJ
What should I use it for? I bought it for the brooder but it made such a mess that I just decided against using it in the coop. When they moved to the coop I actually ended up using hemp . I have a huge bag of the pine. Can I throw it into the run? Will it eventually disintegrate? Can I mix it with hemp in the coop and hopefully extend the life of the coop litter? Should I attempt deep litter starting now for the entire winter? I have five pullets that will hopefully eventually be in one coop. Can I use both products to deep litter it without bugs?

I had 3 bags of pine shavings that I bought from a lady that bagged them herself and sold them. I intended to use them in my coop but when I opened them they had a really strong urine odor from what I'm guessing was the several dogs that I saw around the area. I ended up putting them on my garden and tilling them in....they seem to be breaking down pretty good. I'll add some lime this winter and we should be good to go this spring. I have heard of folks using them for mulch around plants and bushes but if you free range that will all be in vain as the little darlings will sling them everywhere for you....

Back
Top Bottom