Pine pellets in the winter coop

Buddys mom

Chirping
May 28, 2023
Hello again Pine pellets have been suggested for my small coop since I can't do deep litter because of the wood floor. How are the pellets in the winter? Will the coop get colder with the pellets than it would with shavings?

You can still do shavings, even if you don't do deep litter. I have a very thin layer of shavings (on top of sheet vinyl). I do have a poop board, so very rarely do I need to clean poop off the floor. I will say that I put some crumbled up smoker pellets (that got wet) onto the poop board, they basically turned to sawdust and are very dusty when sifting the poop board. That said, if you leave poop on the pellets, the moisture may start to break them down to dust. I don't think you will experience any real difference in temp, by using pellets vs. shavings, if that is what you are asking about.

Ok. I don't have a poop board. My hens were sleeping on the shavings when they were younger until they got used to the roost so I didn't want to take up space with one. But they roost now so I'll put one in. But what's the best medium to use in the poop board?

I do 'deep bedding' which isn't a compost system, but it's great in the winter. I also have a wooden floor. The bedding, when turned and added to weekly, stays dry and is nice and thick, keeping them warm in the winter :)

Back
Top Bottom