Questions on winterizing coop

fridao

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2023
Texas
So this is my first winter of having chickens and i have a few questions. I currently have sand for their run and then pine shavings and hay for the inside of their coop. For the winter, what is the best bedding for the run because the sand gets a bit cold with the colder weather coming. And also what do you recommend covering the coop with to block some of the drafts?
Any other suggestions are very welcomed and would be very helpful!

First of all, where are you located? You can add that to your profile, and then it's always there. Just the state is enough, or the country if you're outside the US. Climate matters, when it comes to chickens.

I use a spun polyester fiber material to help block out the wind in my coop. I staple it over the openings in November, and remove it in the spring. It can be cut to size/shape, and is tough enough to reuse for several years, if I'm careful with how I remove it. Because it's air filter material, air goes through it, but it sure cuts down on the wind.

I take the used pine shavings out of the coop in the spring and put them in the run. In the fall, I add a lot of leaves raked up from my yeard. If you can rake up leaves now, the chickens will love digging through them.

Another way to help the chickens stay out of the wind in the run is to add hay or straw bales. It blocks the wind down at ground level, and gives them something to scratch at. If you want it to keep its shape longer, don't cut the strings. Then in the spring, cut one string and they'll enjoy scratching it and tearing it apart.

Also,
:welcome

So this is my first winter of having chickens and i have a few questions. I currently have sand for their run and then pine shavings and hay for the inside of their coop. For the winter, what is the best bedding for the run because the sand gets a bit cold with the colder weather coming. And also what do you recommend covering the coop with to block some of the drafts?
Any other suggestions are very welcomed and would be very helpful!
Look online for clear plastic panels.

First of all, where are you located? You can add that to your profile, and then it's always there. Just the state is enough, or the country if you're outside the US. Climate matters, when it comes to chickens.

I use a spun polyester fiber material to help block out the wind in my coop. I staple it over the openings in November, and remove it in the spring. It can be cut to size/shape, and is tough enough to reuse for several years, if I'm careful with how I remove it. Because it's air filter material, air goes through it, but it sure cuts down on the wind.

I take the used pine shavings out of the coop in the spring and put them in the run. In the fall, I add a lot of leaves raked up from my yeard. If you can rake up leaves now, the chickens will love digging through them.

Another way to help the chickens stay out of the wind in the run is to add hay or straw bales. It blocks the wind down at ground level, and gives them something to scratch at. If you want it to keep its shape longer, don't cut the strings. Then in the spring, cut one string and they'll enjoy scratching it and tearing it apart.

Also,
:welcome
Thankyou so much for the advice, i’m from texas so the weather is VERY hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter:) Added it to my profile👍🏻

i’m from texas so the weather is VERY hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter
Do you get a lot of wind in the winter? As long as chickens are dry and out of the wind, they can keep themselves warm. They're wearing down parkas. :) I have polycarbonate panels up on the prevailing wind side of my run, and shower curtains hung on the next most prevailing side.

Since you are in Texas, you might look into awnings on your windows. The air filter material I use is stapled up, so it's there for the whole winter. I don't take it down if we get a warm spell mid-March; I wait until April, at least. An awning that you could open/mostly close might be better for your climate.

One thing you do NOT want to do is "batten down the hatches" and make your coop "nice and snug," ie, no ventilation. Chickens exhale water vapor, just like we do. You want that warm, moist air to rise and escape. (Ammonia from their poop also rises.) Ventilation up above their heads -- especially when they're on the roost at night -- keeps the humidity down. Humidity + cold air is what can cause frostbite on combs, wattles, and worse, their toes and feet.

Do you get a lot of wind in the winter? As long as chickens are dry and out of the wind, they can keep themselves warm. They're wearing down parkas. :) I have polycarbonate panels up on the prevailing wind side of my run, and shower curtains hung on the next most prevailing side.

Since you are in Texas, you might look into awnings on your windows. The air filter material I use is stapled up, so it's there for the whole winter. I don't take it down if we get a warm spell mid-March; I wait until April, at least. An awning that you could open/mostly close might be better for your climate.

One thing you do NOT want to do is "batten down the hatches" and make your coop "nice and snug," ie, no ventilation. Chickens exhale water vapor, just like we do. You want that warm, moist air to rise and escape. (Ammonia from their poop also rises.) Ventilation up above their heads -- especially when they're on the roost at night -- keeps the humidity down. Humidity + cold air is what can cause frostbite on combs, wattles, and worse, their toes and feet.
So true!

Yes we do get quite a lot of wind so i will look into buying some of those supplies to block the currents. Thankyou so much once again!!

Texas is a pretty big state. Are you northern, southern, eastern or western?

How big is the coop?
Can you post a few pictures so we can see the ventilation in relation to roost placement?
I am in the Northern part of texas. Here’s a few pictures of my coop. The run is about 12 ft long and 5 feet wide. I have already insulated the inside part but the run is what i’m trying to figure out at the moment. What’s the best bedding for the run?

Attachments

• IMG_7238.jpeg
    IMG_7238.jpeg
    509 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7240.jpeg
    IMG_7240.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7241.jpeg
    IMG_7241.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
I am in the Northern part of texas. Here’s a few pictures of my coop. The run is about 12 ft long and 5 feet wide. I have already insulated the inside part but the run is what i’m trying to figure out at the moment. What’s the best bedding for the run?
What a lovely coop! :love

Back
Top Bottom