rooster collars??

Well, I don't know enough about these collars. But, I am an avid animal lover, and am also of the mindset that it's better to put one down (humanely of course) than have them live their lives in a cage, on a chain, in a stall - maybe with a rooster collar on. It's all about quality of life for me. We think we are doing all of those sweet kitties a favor, for example, by keeping them in shelter cages, but I think they suffer and it's better to just let them go. Same might go for the roosters.

I am pretty sure if my roosters understood that wearing the collar would allow them to do everything they enjoy doing 'except' crowing, they would agree to wear the collar to prolong their lives.

On the other hand, perhaps I am favoring them with human capabilities......

We are all animal lovers here. We are on this thread to try to solve a problem in the best way we can. Personally I would hesitate to share an opinion on a topic while also confessing I don't actually have any practical experience or knowledge of the topic.

I made my own collar, depending on the size of the roo. I made mine 6 inches long. Two bits of velcrow, hook side out, soft side in. Put low on the neck to prevent that big inhalation of air. It does work. Grey didn't like it for about a minuet, then carried on as if it wasn't there. You have to allow enough for your pinky to just get under the edge of the collar wither side, then you know he is going to choke.
oh yeah it works , it works, yeah yeah yeah
wee.gif

I would like to know about this no crow collar too? We have a rooster that I would like to keep, but live in a residential area and don't want to have unhappy neighbors

I would like to know about this no crow collar too? We have a rooster that I would like to keep, but live in a residential area and don't want to have unhappy neighbors
I have a rooster and I bought a collar for him. They are 2 or 3 rows of soft hook and loop with mesh fabric in between. My boy is large and needed a large collar. In the beginning it did quiet him down about 25%. He was still loud. My biggest issue is after a few days the collar squishes down. It needs to be adjusted at least once a week. Which I stopped doing. You can put it on by yourself if you have a very calm lap friendly rooster. But really it takes 2 people to put on and adjust. My boy is very docile in my lap but mess with his neck and he is less calm.
The collar needs to sit low and snug on the neck and for some they work great for me it was a $25 experiment that did not pay off.
The other issue is I soak their feed and if he gets a large clump he can choke. He ran backwards in the beginning and still does at times. If the cost does not deter you then it is worth a try but do not expect miracles.

I just put my no crow collar on my boy the other day. It needs re-adjusted. He is the same volume. He doesn't like. Which I expected. He chews on it and he freaked out a bit when I first put it on. I'm a little surprise that he didn't object at all to my mom grabbing him off the roost and me messing with his neck. He's a tame rooster but he don't really hold him much anymore. He was perfectly still. I'm a little worried that if I try to adjust it he will freak out. If I take it off for a second I think he might try and bite and move so I can't get it back on. Has anyone had a problem adjusting a collar with a roo who was good the first time?

Last edited:
Also I paid about $40 for mine. I got it on amazon through my pet chicken. I wish I did more research because if you buy direct from their website they ship it free. Also it was expensive because I had to have the silly little bow tie. I haven't tried that yet. I'm waiting until he gets used to the collar first.

Back
Top Bottom