rooster collars??

I have a year old Silkie. I've only had him for a few months, but he's a pretty easy going guy. Nah, he's extremely laid back. Because I got him when we still had 3 ft of snow in the yard he's currently a 'kitchen chicken' and I didn't have to worry about his crowing as he wasn't outside much until the last few weeks. I tried the baby sock and it worked for a few days, but as it stretched out it slipped down and was less effective. So I bought a 'Bear Bell' at the local hardware store. It's a 1" velcroed band with a bell on it (apparently to alert bears when you're hiking...heh). It was $5 and saved me having to sew. He still crows, just not as much, and the sound is more 'garbled' and not as loud. I tightened it today when I noticed he was a little more vocal. He doesn't mind it - no walking backwards or anything. He did peck at it a few times, but it jangled & so he stopped. Of course, I think the constant tingle of the bell is more irritating than the crowing, but not so my neighbours ;) At least I know where he is. The sock, despite being soft, did rub off some feathers on his neck and velcro and silkie 'hair' aren't a good mix, but I'm keeping an eye on his neck to see that it doesn't get irritated...if so, I'll line the band with some flannel. Although I think "Tinker Bell" quite likes the jingling now.

However, I think I'll use some of Serenity Sav and Chillin With My Peeps experience and do some 'training' and eventually just use the collar as a reminder - I hope. I have a two month old beauty of a blue silkie that I just know isn't going to be laying eggs and I'd like to have some ideas/experience so that I have a better chance of not having to rehome him.

It may be too small a band for a larger rooster, he is my first and I'm not experienced with chickens at all, so have no idea how big a standard roosters neck could be, but it's a quick and inexpensive way to try it out. The brand I found is 'Cochlans' and it's made in China so I'm sure it's easy to find in any hardware/hunting/fishing type store.

Shelley

Hmmm... I am helping a lady who is moving (NOW) and can't take 5 peafowl with her. I had intended to carefully rehome them, but I may have to try this. I personally LOVE their calls, it makes me giggle every time, sadly my "gun toting redneck" SO does not feel the same. :/ He talks tough but he took charge to rescue 4 late to hatch quail chicks just 3 hours ago). However if the peacocks didn't disturb the peace.... my SO wouldn't be able to complain, especially if he sees how much the eggs can sell for. :weee Peacocks only call during mating season, so the boys wouldn't have to wear them all year, but they are "look but don't touch" birds, so I can't use the collar as a deterrent.

I can't wait to try it! :fl Wish me luck!

Anyone who has made their own, please PM me with any suggestions. Tomorrow... er... it is after midnight, later today I will make a small prototype and (don't tell PETA, animal testing, lol) try one on my loudmouth serama. The peafowl don't get here until Saturday.

Last edited:
I am so jealous of those of you who found the cockerel collars worked.

My first try was a Serama lad who would not shut up, he crowed for 2 hours solid out of every 3, and just kept getting louder and louder.
It took me a whole week to adjust the collar tight enough and it barely dented the volume and frequency of his crow.
I hatched out some eggs and kept his smallest son, hoping he would be quieter, but no. He also really likes to crow, he is not as loud or grating as his father was, but still upsets the neighbours so again with the cockerel collar. This time, being used to it, I adjusted it properly in the first day. It hasn't touched his crowing, he is still loud and still often.
Instead I have started trying to train him.
If he crows once or twice, fine. If he crows on and on (over 4 crows in a row), then I fetch him out for time out in a carry cage in the shed. While in that cage he crows for England but since he is in the shed it is muted.
After half hour to an hour, I put him back in with his ladies. It is a long slow process though, and if I have to go out, I can't enforce it. :/

For those who have made their own collars, would you mind sharing the basic design pretty please?

We have acquired a young rooster today (who was hatched & hand reared in town), and was wanting to make a collar tomorrow so we can get on top of the crowing (hopefully).

I have valcro & felt to line the underside, but is there any particular tips which you have found works best for you?

Also, do you leave them on constantly, or just put them on a night, ready for the morning chorus?

any photos or tips would be greatly appreciated :) x
jumpy.gif

I posted a youtube video of my self-made rooster collar here: http://backyardboogi.com/news.html

I'm using a 2" wide velcro stip and it works. You can see the rooster's muffled crow in the video. He is used to the collar and it doesn't prevent him from doing all his other duties :)

My tips would be: Make sure it is at least 2" wide as it gives the collar the structural strength while keeping sure that the animal is not strangled. Narrow bands may collapse the air duct, which makes for a very unhappy rooster. Use industrial strength velcro as it stays snug and won't expand over time. Start loose and tighten it as he gets used to it. You can literally adjust the volume on the crowing as you tighten. Again, by using a wide band I found it to be very safe to tighten (no struggling for air - which I witnessed at first when i used a narrower rubber band).

s.

Last edited:
I posted a youtube video of my self-made rooster collar here: http://backyardboogi.com/news.html

I'm using a 4" wide velcro stip and it works. You can see the rooster's muffled crow in the video. He is used to the collar and it doesn't prevent him from doing all his other duties :)

My tips would be: Make sure it is at least 4" wide as it gives the collar the structural strength while keeping sure that the animal is not strangled. Narrow bands may collapse the air duct, which makes for a very unhappy rooster. Use industrial strength velcro as it stays snug and won't expand over time. Start loose and tighten it as he gets used to it. You can literally adjust the volume on the crowing as you tighten. Again, by using a wide band I found it to be very safe to tighten (no struggling for air - which I witnessed at first when i used a narrower rubber band).

s.

this is a FANTASTIC video, thank you so much for sharing. the sound he makes with it on is quite hilarious to me. great job!

I'm using a 4" wide velcro stip and it works. You can see the rooster's muffled crow in the video. He is used to the collar and it doesn't prevent him from doing all his other duties :)

My tips would be: Make sure it is at least 4" wide as it gives the collar the structural strength while keeping sure that the animal is not strangled. Narrow bands may collapse the air duct, which makes for a very unhappy rooster. Use industrial strength velcro as it stays snug and won't expand over time. Start loose and tighten it as he gets used to it. You can literally adjust the volume on the crowing as you tighten. Again, by using a wide band I found it to be very safe to tighten (no struggling for air - which I witnessed at first when i used a narrower rubber band).

s.
Thanks so much for this! Very encouraging!
We are currently using the standard sized valcro, but will trial the wider size.

Just a question in regards to positioning: Do you place the collar mid-length (which appears to be how you have done?) or lower down the neck closer to where it joins the body? or does position not really matter?

Just a question in regards to positioning: Do you place the collar mid-length (which appears to be how you have done?) or lower down the neck closer to where it joins the body? or does position not really matter?

I try to get it low down where the neck joins the body.

Thank you!

We gave your method a go and happy to say we have success!!
He is now no louder than the cackling hens & does not appear to be bothered by the extra height of the collar.

So thank you again!!

Back
Top Bottom