Rooster comb infected ? Growing little black dots?

KnkGoose

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 19, 2013
Maine
[/IMG]
We just noticed this on our roosters comb today.. I thought it was just a scab from one of the girls but the little black dots are raised and when I put peroxide on them they bubbled like an infection would??
Can anyone tell me what it may be or how to treat it?
I washed it with peroxide and put neosporin on it for now.
Thanks

[/URL]
We just noticed this on our roosters comb today.. I thought it was just a scab from one of the girls but the little black dots are raised and when I put peroxide on them they bubbled like an infection would??
Can anyone tell me what it may be or how to treat it?
I washed it with peroxide and put neosporin on it for now.
Thanks
Hydrogen peroxide bubbles only if exposed to blood. Doesn't mean it is infected. But the yellow center looks like pus? The black dots are an unusual pattern, I think for pecking. Make sure no signs of mites. Make sure the rest of the chicken looks normal, no other injuries, keep the comb cleansed, hydrogen peroxide. If the yellow part does look like pus, I would keep it clean, but don't' seal in infection with the ointment.

The white spot is in both sides it wasn't really pussy , I took the pic after I put the peroxide on.. It was more crusty and some of the little black spots would rub off .. Should I seprrate him?

I would make sure you are not dealing with mites. They can bite the comb as well as other areas of the body. If the spots wipe off, I would think mites are likely. If one chicken has mites, then they are probably all exposed. If you see any new spots, try to wipe off and see if the spot moves? Check around the vent area, mites like often like that area.

Its not mites , but after some searching I am thinking it may be fowl pox? I am going to check out our entire flock tomorrow and treat him as if it is.. the pics that I have seen of FP look very similar...

Its not mites , but after some searching I am thinking it may be fowl pox? I am going to check out our entire flock tomorrow and treat him as if it is.. the pics that I have seen of FP look very similar...

If you truly think it is fowl pox, I would consult a vet.

But the scabs of fowl pox cause crusty scabs and wart like lumps on the comb, wattles, eyelids and other feather free areas of the skin, and those don't wipe off.

The other type of fowl pox causes internal sores and the chicken would be quite ill.

Again, if you think this is fowl pox, then consult a poultry vet.

Back
Top Bottom