Rooster comb turning purple/blue??? HELP

I just notice my 2nd rooster Comb is dark purple and he's eating but seems to have trouble swallowing. A little slow also.no coughing, sneezing. I massaged his crop and it feels hard like cartilage but not full. Could something be in there? Not sure what to do.

I just notice my 2nd rooster Comb is dark purple and he's eating but seems to have trouble swallowing. A little slow also.no coughing, sneezing. I massaged his crop and it feels hard like cartilage but not full. Could something be in there? Not sure what to do.

Dark purple can mean he is seriously ill. A change in comb like that should be considered an emergency. I just saw your post this morning - unfortunately days after your wrote, so this may well be too late....but I hope not. I would run, not walk, to an avian vet with him if he's still with you and still unwell. .JJ

Last edited:
rooster has been doing better until tonight. I found him lying down in the run right before dark and wouldn't/couldn't get up. I brought him into the house for the night. I felt his crop and it just feels like hard cartilidge. Is this normal? I thought it was suppose to feel spongy. I'm not sure what's going on, I hope he's ok by morning. I have vitamin water for him in the box.

Someone else just posted on here recently with the same symptoms. Her hen had eaten onions. She did die. Has your rooster eaten anything unusual? Dark purple comb can mean heart or organ failure. jjthink is right, It is seriously an emergency.

He stayed in the basement last night and was better this morning making his normal noises and eating and drinking. Then this evening it was down on the ground again and couldnt get up. Im wondering if the the cold is starting to wear him down as the day goes on. I havent given him anything different. But i have a set of missing keys to one of the coop doors. My hubby doesnt believe he ate them but Im not so sure. Theyre always hung on a nail in the run until a couple weeks ago.

Well, if you can, consider taking him to a vet. Sometimes universities with agriculture or animal science programs can provide information too How big were the keys? Doesn't seem likely, but you know him better than anyone on here.

Poor guy was worst this morning instead of better. Passed away a little after I checked on him. Looking into a necropsy outside, not sure if I want to do it myself. Thx for everyone's concern/advice.

Poor guy was worst this morning instead of better. Passed away a little after I checked on him. Looking into a necropsy outside, not sure if I want to do it myself. Thx for everyone's concern/advice.
He suffered a long time. I wish he could have had medical help
sad.png
JJ

He only suffered that last night, I gave him vitamin water which helped the night before. Otherwise he was eating and walking around. Sometimes we aren't able to save them all. My husband believes he pecked into a dead mouse we found in the run because he placed poison traps under the coop outside to avoid mice. :(

I wanted to post this info.so people will check for other problems such as FUNGAL. There seems to always be an assumption its viral related. Blue Comb can also be Yeast Related-Fungal. There are some things you should check because I have been dealing SPECIFICALLY with a Crop Fungal situation. My Roosters legs will get slightly red but More Important his Comb Turns Blue.

AT FIRST it was 50%. As I continued treating it regressed to only the tips & back side of Comb. TWO THINGS YOU SHOULD OBSERVE. 1. BE SURE TO GENTLY CHECK THE CROP ESPECIALLY THE BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER. PROCEED TO FOLLOW THAT UP TO THE TOP RIGHT CORNER. YOU WANT TO "GENTLY" PALPATE WITH YOUR FINGERS(TRY NOT TO PINCH). IF YOU FIND A LUMP THAT SEEMS SEMI HARD OR A THICKENING IN THE CROP LINING THEN ITS FUNGAL. 2. BE SURE TO CHECK THEIR FECAL. THE YEAST WILL BE WHITE LIKE THEIR UREA BUT IT HAS MORE OF A STRINGY LOOK OR A WHITE STRINGY APPEARANCE. NORMAL UREA LEAVES A SORT OF CHALKY LOOK. CROP FUNGUS -YEAST IS CONTAGIOUS. WHEN THEY DRINK THEY TEND TO REGURGITATE THEIR WATER A BIT ALONG WITH THEIR FOOD "IF" ITS CROP FUNGUS. THEY WILL ALSO PICK UP PELLET & DROP IT ESPECIALLY THE LONGER PIECES. ANOTHER GREAT SIGN YOU HAVE THIS ISSUE IS CHECK TO SEE IF THEY HAVE BREAST TISSUE!!! THEY MAY STILL HAVE MUSCLE ON THEIR LEGS BUT THEIR BREASTS DISAPPEAR. THE YEAST-FUNGUS LITERALLY EATS & STORES THE CARBS/SUGAR.

When the fungus content passes to the Intestines it causes swelling & this is when the Comb turns Blue. There are 2 typical times this will happen. The first is while eating/drinking & for the first 5-10min. Then usually it will start regressing. The other time I notice this is usually when the Crop is completely empty & its Hot outside. IF the Hen or Rooster has not drank the Heat will start dissolving the mass & then you have the Fungal content sitting at the ctr. of the Crop. There will be some that will work its way out into the Intestines & then they turn Blue again.

Crop Fungus is a Bear to Treat. I have posted some threads under Yeast or Fungal. You may contact me with your findings & I will try to assist you. The reason I say this is because each situation is different. The Time of Year(weather),the size of the mass,etc. I prefer to know specifics. It has taken me "2 YEARS" to FINALLY get the treatment right due to variables & I HAVE A MEDICAL BACKGROUND. I EVEN TOOK MY HENS TO AN AVIAN VET & TRIED DRUGS SUCH AS ITRACONAZOLE /NYSTATIN. MY VET MORE OR LESS SAID "IT CAN'T BE FUNGAL OR THESE DRUGS WOULD HAVE CURED IT & I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO FOR YOU ANYMORE(OF COURSE SHE WOULDN'T TURN AWAY MORE $$$ IF I WANTED TO PURSUE IT). WE HAD ALREADY DONE CULTURES SO WE ALREADY KNEW IT WAS FUNGAL. I CAN'T BELIEVE AN AVIAN VET OF 30YRS. DIDN'T TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE STRAIN OF FUNGUS & LOCATION. ITRACONAZOLE WAS THE BEST BUT THERE ARE OTHER FACTORS SUCH AS PROPER PH. THIS IS A COMPOUNDED DRUG. THEY ALSO USE ADDITIVES SUCH AS FLAVORING,STEVIA,ETC. IF THE COMPOUND IS NOT MIXED CORRECTLY THEN YOU GET DIPS.

ANYWAYS BE SURE TO CHECK FOR THESE THINGS BECAUSE YES IT IS DUE TO A LACK OF OXYGEN/STRESS BUT IT MAY NOT BE VIRAL. MOST START TREATING WITH ANTIBIOTICS & IN MOST CASES THIS IS BAD. THE ONLY ONE I HAD SOME SUCCESS WITH IN THE VERY BEGINNING WAS "INJECTIONS" OF LA200. THE REASON FOR THAT WAS BECAUSE THE LA KILLED OFF "ALL" THE BACTERIA BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY LA 200 INJECTIONS (INJECTING TETRACYCLINE AT HIGHER DOSES) HAS A DRYING OUT AFFECT. THE BAD PART IS YOU ZAP THE GOOD BACTERIA OUT .
FUNGUS NEEDS A FEW THINGS TO SURVIVE. THE TOP 3 ARE SUGAR(CARBS) WATER & AIR. SALT IS BAD ALSO BECAUSE IT RETAINS THE WATER.
AS I STATED FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME. I WILL SAY IF ITS A VERY MILD CASE TRY GETTING SOME KIEFER.
I SUGGEST THE "PLAIN ORGANIC GREEN VALLEY 99% LACTOSE FREE" IT SHOULD HAVE AROUND 7-8GRAMS OF SUGAR "PER CUP SERVING" THE LACTOSE FREE IS VERY IMPORTANT. LACTOSE TURNS TO SUGAR.
IF YOU CAN'T GET THIS BRAND THEN LOOK FOR THE LOWEST SUGAR POSSIBLE & LACTOSE FREE.I WILL SAY THIS AGAIN "PLAIN"!!! YOU CAN ALSO CHECK THEIR INTESTINES. IF ITS INTESTINAL RELATED THEY USUALLY DO NOT LIKE TO BE PICKED UP-PRESSURE IN THAT AREA. THERE ARE OTHER THINGS THAT OBVIOUSLY CAN CAUSE INTESTINAL SWELLING BUT AT LEAST YOU CAN NARROW IT DOWN.

MY HEN AVOIDS WATER DURING THE DAY UNLESS SHE LAYS. THEN SHE WILL DRINK RIGHT AFTER WHERE AS MY ROOSTER IS MORE WEAK WHEN IT STARTS TO GET TO WARM.

MY HEN IS MUCH BETTER AT IT THEN MY ROOSTER.. GRUB EATING(PINCHER BUGS & BLACK BEETLES ARE A +) & GRASS EATING(NOT WET) WILL BE VERY CRUCIAL FOR THEM & MINIMAL GRAIN(ORGANIC IS BEST) NO ADDITIONAL SCRATCH FEED THE GRAIN ALREADY HAS TO MUCH DAM CORN IN IT!.
"IN THE EVENING ONLY" START WITH GIVING HIM OR HER"COLD" WATER!!. LET THEM DRINK SOME. I USUALLY ALLOW HIM TO DRINK & FILL 50%. THE COLD WATER CAUSES THERE TO BE AN EXCHANGE. COLD REDUCES SWELLING WHICH RELEASES THE FUNGUS WHICH CONTAINS BAD BACTERIA/SUGARS) BUT AS THE WATER WARMS IT WILL TRY & SUCK UP WATER AGAIN. I WAIT ABOUT 5MIN AFTER GIVING HIM COLD WATER & THEN OFFER PELLET WHICH I ADDED 1/4 TSP. OF KIEFER MIXED IN WELL!!! DON'T BLOB IT IN 1 AREA. THIS ALL DEPENDS ON SIZE OF ROOSTER/HEN. TOO MUCH GOOD BACTERIA CAUSES INTESTINAL UPSET WHICH EQUALS STRESS.
NOW YOU SEE WHY ITS BEST TO CONTACT ME IF YOU FIND THIS CONDITION. MY HEN IS BIGGER THAN MY ROOSTER SO SHE GETS 1/4(THIS HAS VARIED SLIGHTLY). MY ROOSTER IS MUCH SMALLER SO HE ONLY GETS AROUND 1/8. THERE ARE 2 REASONS FOR THIS TO BE DONE AT NIGHT. 1. THE HEN/ROOSTER ARE AT REST WHICH IS THE LEAST AMT. OF STRESS. 2. THERE IS NO HEAT. MY ROOSTER WILL DRINK,THEN EAT,THEN DRINK AGAIN UNTIL HIS CROP IS BULGING FULL TO THE VERY TOP!!!

BY DOING IT IN THIS FASHION THE KIEFER HELPS KILL OFF SOME OF THAT BAD BACTERIA BEFORE IT REACHES THE INTESTINES!!! I TRIED MORE IN THE BEGINNING & COULDN'T FIGURE OUT WHY I WAS ON THIS ROLLER COASTER RIDE. IF THE KEIFER IS GIVEN WITHOUT ENOUGH WATER ITS TOO RICH. YOGURT HAS WAY TOO MUCH SUGAR & IS NOT AS GOOD AS KIEFER!!!!
MUCH MORE THAN I WANTED TO PUT HERE BUT IF YOU HAVE BEEN GOING ROUND & ROUND WITH BLUE COMB THEN THIS MAY BE YOUR PROBLEM. MY DAM AVIAN VET COULDN'T GIVE ME AN ANSWER WHEN I HAD ASKED WHY ALL OF A SUDDEN THEIR COMBS WERE GETTING BLUER & BLUER. SHE DIDN'T RELATE THE FUNGAL TO IT & ALL SHE SAID WAS"USUALLY ITS A LACK OF OXYGEN OR VIRAL!

ONE LAST THING THAT CAN TELL YOU IF ITS STRESS RELATED(INTESTINAL DISTRESS) OR VIRAL BUT DON'T LAUGH.
THIS TECHNIQUE REALLY HELPED MY HEN WHEN SHE WAS LAYING. IT WAS TAKING HER SO LONG & SHE TURNED SO BLUE BUT WHEN I START DOING THIS IT STARTED TO DISAPPEAR. WORKS WITH THE ROOSTER ALSO BUT IT HAS TO BE IN THE EVE TYPICALLY WHEN HES ON HIS ROOST.
TAKE YOUR FINGER & "GENTLY" STROKE DOWNWARD FROM BELOW THEIR EAR DOWN THE WATTLE. THE BEST WAY I CAN DESCRIBE IS AS IF YOUR ARE STROKING(CARESSING) YOUR CHILDS HAIR BEHIND THEIR EAR. MY ROOSTER LIKES IT BUT HES PICKY ABOUT HOW FAR DOWN THE WATTLE I GO. MY HEN LIKES IT BELOW THE EYE & DOWNWARD ALSO. YOU WILL KNOW WHEN YOU GET IT BECAUSE THEY WILL START TO CLOSE THEIR EYES. FOR THE HEN THIS WILL ALLOW THEIR INTESTINES TO RELAX & LET THE EGG MOVE OUTWARD. THIS ALSO WORKS WELL WITH MILD CASES OF PERITONITIS.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom