Rooster comb turning purple/blue??? HELP

I have no idea why I call them SHickens????? almost like the word chooks I suppose. I just always called em that.
ya.gif
I am a bit of a loon, so don't mind me.....

Quote:
That's a little drastic since the condition can sometimes be quite temporary. My incredibly wonderful roo has had occasional purple comb (usually tip) issues through the years but is the absolute picture of good health now some 9 years after I first found him and began to care for him. He is also so very caring with any hens who have ever had the good fortune to know him.

JJ

Not one thing in the world drastic about it. If you want strong, vigorous and health fowl then CULLING is the ONLY answer. The harder you cull the better your birds are going to be: plan and simple.

If you are not interested in culling (fast and hard) then for the sake of the rest of us, Don't Breed Them. If you are keeping pets, then it is a different story entirely. I don't keep pets. I keep heritage and ancient breeds of chickens including several breeds that needed extensive work.

Quote:
That's a little drastic since the condition can sometimes be quite temporary. My incredibly wonderful roo has had occasional purple comb (usually tip) issues through the years but is the absolute picture of good health now some 9 years after I first found him and began to care for him. He is also so very caring with any hens who have ever had the good fortune to know him.

JJ

Not one thing in the world drastic about it. If you want strong, vigorous and health fowl then CULLING is the ONLY answer. The harder you cull the better your birds are going to be: plan and simple.

If you are not interested in culling (fast and hard) then for the sake of the rest of us, Don't Breed Them. If you are keeping pets, then it is a different story entirely. I don't keep pets. I keep heritage and ancient breeds of chickens including several breeds that needed extensive work.

Your initial post only mentioned that you kill at first sign of purple comb and not that you are breeding birds for other than the pleasure of caring for them.

I don't breed chickens for any reason but if I did want to hatch eggs fertilized by my roo BJ, and his personality traits were passed on, it would be such a beautiful thing for anyone lucky enough to adopt his progeny because he is such a kind gentle protective roo and at 9+ years old at this point, could not be any more healthy. If a bird has a passing health concern here or there along the way and successfully overcomes that issue, rather than being a sign of weakness it can instead be a sign of strength. If I had the one strike and you're out philososphy, my birds (pets in my case), and I wager most folks birds, would have been iced a long time ago - instead, they are living happy, healthy, active lives.

If I was breeding birds for other than pet purposes, I wouldn't breed a bird that showed a tendency toward problems but I wouldn't kill them either. I would let the 'imperfect' ones happily live out their lives in a separate space, or adopt them to a good home. They could turn out like my BJ, happy and healthy years and years after a passing health glitch, and to my mind, they deserve that opportunity. That's just me - not asking anyone else to hold the same philosophy.

Some of the longest lived healthiest humans have overcome this that or the other health glitch through the years - but the point is that they were strong enough to overcome. Lucky for them they weren't being bred for perfection or they might have been axed when they got their first cold, or rash, or whatever so that the gene pool could be tidied up!
wink.png
wink.png
wink.png
wink.png
wink.png
Okay, okay, I'm just teasing to try to make the point that I think it goes a little far to snuff the life out of anything that doesn't meet a standard of perfection. There are kinder possibilities.

Koo Koe, how is roo? Would like to get this thread back on track with the focus on your roo. Hope all is well. Sorry for the tangent.

JJ

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom