Rooster Conundrum :(

Slamoureux

In the Brooder
May 12, 2021
Hello! I have a decision to make, and am completely torn about what to do.

We have 12 hens and 2 roosters, all just turned a year old and raised together. Our head rooster (an Easter Egger named Jerko, that’s what I get for letting my husband name one lol) is a great flock leader, not rough with the hens and very attentive to danger. Our second rooster Lucky (speckled Sussex) is more of a happy doofus, has just started challenging Jerko, and has distinctly won every fight. Lucky doesn’t go overboard with fighting, but Jerko seems very unwilling to concede top status, and keeps coming back until he’s really beat up. (Their first fight was while I was at work, came home to both of them bloody messes. Jerko got a bubble bath spa treatment and a week in quarantine inside the coop). I supervised them together last night, they would scuffle for a few minutes then separate to different sides of the yard. I went in the house for an hour once they seemed settled, and when I came back out Jerko’s wattle was torn open, so back into quarantine he went.

So now I have to decide, do I let them keep trying to figure it out, or do I have to downsize to only one roo? And which one do I keep?? Jerko is a great flock leader (but a bit of a jerk, he occasionally tries to nip my fingers when I’m petting the hens lol), but Lucky is my favourite bird (of course!) and so sweet! I was hoping they would just live in peaceful harmony forever, but that’s looking less likely as time goes by :hit

Any input is most appreciated, I’m at a loss!

Either gonna have to run 2 different flocks in 2 different enclosures or deal with culling a rooster by some method. Keeping them both together with the flock is only gonna make them both more aggressive over time.

You want Lucky, keep him. Jerko might be good with the hens but he pecking at you can be an early sign of getting more aggressive.

I agree, keep the one you like, but know that he can change, once you remove a rooster. Roosters are a crap shoot, and how they behave today has no real effect on tomorrow. Being raised together has little effect.
Being they are still fighting, I too would expect that to continue.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom