Rooster Coop

Jenbel

In the Brooder
May 22, 2020
Hello! I have a 5x5’ converted child’s playhouse as a coop for 4 heritage breed mix roosters. It is not insulated but is draft free and ventilated. I live in Northern Ontario and it gets cold. Will the boys be ok all winter?

Post a pix of your finished coop, and we can see if it is truly draft free, and sufficiently ventilated.
BTW, I have a playhouse converted/repurposed coop I am using. I question the venting, as those playhouses do tend to have play windows openings, in the center of height. That would be a draft problem, unless you already solved that.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Post a pix of your finished coop, and we can see if it is truly draft free, and sufficiently ventilated.
BTW, I have a playhouse converted/repurposed coop I am using. I question the venting, as those playhouses do tend to have play windows openings, in the center of height. That would be a draft problem, unless you already solved that.
I will get some after work and post tomorrow. Thanks!

Sorry for the delay. I work at a hospital and it’s crazy time!! So we didn’t caulk all the way to the roof and there’s open area under the eaves. We built wooden covers for the windows. I was thinking of using some bales around the outside to help insulate. It’s about 5x5 and about 5’8” high. I just worry only 4 roosters won’t be able to produce enough body heat to stay warm all winter. I live in Northern Ontario so winters are cold and long.

Attachments

• 687F11C5-F177-467D-AB7E-4D2144EDE92E.jpeg
    687F11C5-F177-467D-AB7E-4D2144EDE92E.jpeg
    729.5 KB · Views: 8
  • AE7B7402-C7AF-4283-9EE0-76FB59D138D0.jpeg
    AE7B7402-C7AF-4283-9EE0-76FB59D138D0.jpeg
    647.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 024F1C9C-C49E-43A4-A232-83AB6F298A1A.jpeg
    024F1C9C-C49E-43A4-A232-83AB6F298A1A.jpeg
    535.8 KB · Views: 7
Ohh I forgot to add this pic

Attachments

• CBC5F339-9971-47E5-B162-BE2E192E0B7C.jpeg
    CBC5F339-9971-47E5-B162-BE2E192E0B7C.jpeg
    421 KB · Views: 8
I don't see any ventilation in your pix. I marked in red pen where ventilation should be year-round. You blocked the eve ventilation, which is VERY IMPORTANT.. You should have that open, and secured with hardware cloth.
Ventilation should be well above the heads of sitting chickens. The marked location in the gable ends (both sides, can have louvered vent coverings to keep out precipitation.
Chickens stay warm inside coop during winter by fluffing up their feathers, and their down acts like a coat. That coat keeps them warm. Chickens do not generate enough heat to make a coop warm. Of course a coop with 60,000 chickens does generate substantial heat, but also much moisture . That is why ventilation is SOO IMPORTANT.
Without proper ventilation, the air inside becomes humid, which will promote frostbite. Also, poor ventilation leads to a buildup of ammonia, from droppings. That is bad for chickens respiration.
I will tag @aart and see what can be added. Aart has very good advice on ventilation, and resides in a cold winter area as well.
vent.PNG

Tha
I don't see any ventilation in your pix. I marked in red pen where ventilation should be year-round. You blocked the eve ventilation, which is VERY IMPORTANT.. You should have that open, and secured with hardware cloth.
Ventilation should be well above the heads of sitting chickens. The marked location in the gable ends (both sides, can have louvered vent coverings to keep out precipitation.
Chickens stay warm inside coop during winter by fluffing up their feathers, and their down acts like a coat. That coat keeps them warm. Chickens do not generate enough heat to make a coop warm. Of course a coop with 60,000 chickens does generate substantial heat, but also much moisture . That is why ventilation is SOO IMPORTANT.
Without proper ventilation, the air inside becomes humid, which will promote frostbite. Also, poor ventilation leads to a buildup of ammonia, from droppings. That is bad for chickens respiration.
I will tag @aart and see what can be added. Aart has very good advice on ventilation, and resides in a cold winter area as well.
View attachment 2349795
Thanks!!!

Hello! I have a 5x5’ converted child’s playhouse as a coop for 4 heritage breed mix roosters. It is not insulated but is draft free and ventilated. I live in Northern Ontario and it gets cold. Will the boys be ok all winter?
Just how cold?

And how dark do you get... as in how long is your shortest day?

Just how cold?

And how dark do you get... as in how long is your shortest day?

Well we can get as low as -30C and lower with wind chill. And some days as little as 8-9 hours of actual daylight. I’m basically right across the border from Northern Michigan where the 3 Great Lakes meet.

Tha

Thanks!!!
How do I know what is too much ventilation? I have a sensor in there that tells the temp and the humidity. Do you know what % humidity I should be trying to maintain? Maybe I can add ventilation until I get to that number consistently?

Back
Top Bottom