Rooster crowing incessantly for two days

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
My EE rooster, Bunny, has been crowing almost constantly for the past two days, starting at around 3:30-4:00 am and going until the sun goes down. He has never done this before.
He is also very on edge, constantly pacing and looking towards the woods. I noticed the girls are kind of nervous too, and my subordinate rooster has been on guard as well.
I don't know if there is some kind or predator (I think I might have heard a bear?) that has been walking past the garden? Or maybe he's just restless, because I keep them in an enclosed run? The run is plenty big for my 7 chickens though, and I do let them out to roam around in the garden. They were out all day yesterday because I was cleaning the coop.
Does anyone know why he might be crowing so much, and how to stop him from doing it?

I would say predator.
When a predator gets too close or in the area: bear, cougar, bobcat, fischer, etc. my rooster won’t let the ladies out of the coop or run and he will lay in the doorway.
You could lock them into the coop or enclosed run if it is enclosed. This would help stress levels and not cause the ladies to stop laying due to stress.
If you have a trail camera, I would put it up to see what predator you are dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom