Rooster Crowing Observations

Are Australorps known for maturing early? I am pretty sure I have at least 1 more cockrel...but hes maturing at a much slower rate. I also have 3 Buff Brahma cockrels...pretty sure...but I know they are very slow maturing birds.

I'm not sure. But I was surprised by mine because one would expect the Leghorn-derived California White to have laid first.

I'm following this post! I just heard my 13 week old cockerel attempt to crow today. It's the first I have heard him but hubs did once about a week ago. Poor guy reminds me of that awkward stage teen boys go through when their voice squeaks 😂 is this early or on time for the average cockerel?

Hes a Black Australorp.

I bet he will be a beauty when he matures!! I love Black Australorps, they lay great, are friendly, and good mothers when they go broody. My current two look almost ready start laying.

IMG-2644.jpg

I'm following this post! I just heard my 13 week old cockerel attempt to crow today. It's the first I have heard him but hubs did once about a week ago. Poor guy reminds me of that awkward stage teen boys go through when their voice squeaks 😂 is this early or on time for the average cockerel?

My EE cockerel sounded like a frog croaking lol .... I don't know what the average age is, but both of mine (Dominique & EE) started about 4 months so 16 weeks.

I got my rooster last year and he stayed in a movable 8x4 coop behind my house. The moment I opened the curtains in the morning he would see me and start crowing. A neighbor at least 1/2 mile away had a peacock and they would have a "crow-off" at sundown every night. It took me a minute to realize what it was he was talking back to!

We have a Black Australorp cockerel, who was supposed to be a hen, and he started crowing around 3 1/2 months. He is 9 months now, and is an amazing cockerel. His name is Omen. Omen shares our yard with our other cockerel, Romeo. Romeo crows ALL THE TIME! Sometimes Omen has a crow off with Romeo, and sometimes he pecks him to tell him to shut up😂😂 We can also hear roosters crowing in the distance, which sets ours off😂🤷 Good thing the neighbors don't mind, but we live where most anything goes! Romeo sounds like someone is strangling him, whereas Omen sounds great! One of the many reasons, I'm sure, that Omen is King of the roost. As you can see in the pictures, Romeo has no tail feathers. Omen ripped them all out when Romeo thought he could take him on😂😂😂

Attachments

• 20210124_101224.jpg
    20210124_101224.jpg
    657.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210124_102936_HDR.jpg
    20210124_102936_HDR.jpg
    848.9 KB · Views: 3
Omen is handsome. Thus far my two cockerels are not fighting at all and both are relatively quiet. I don’t know if I just got lucky or if they will crow more in the spring.

Mine crows all the time. I like it, because if he is crowing, everything is ok. There is one ISA who will peck at him when he gets too loud.

I'm sure he does it on purpose just to startle me, and he is super mellow so I don't even bat an eye at turning my back to him, but his favorite game is to wait until I am distracted with something, walk up behind me, and let go with a loud crow just to watch me jump.

Back
Top Bottom