Rooster Crowing question?

stormylady

Songster
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Illinois
My Nine week old Roo, Honeycomb, just started crowing recently, It seems like he only crows when I come home from work, it is roughly the same time everyday, but I leave in the afternoon sometimes and when I come in he crows then too. MY son says he never does that while Im gone, just when I come home. Ive noticed it more increasingly lately. He will crow when he hears my voice, or when he can see me. What do you think is this just to get my attention? Or is it a random thing? Is this going to be a habit with him, like the dogs when I come home get all excited and want my undivided attention! Does anybody elses little boys do that ! Or is my Honeycomb an odd little duck(Roo)!
Thanks Sandy

we had a silver laced hamburg. the kids named him "rocket". We adults called him door alarm. anytime anybody would go in or out the front door he'd crow. no matter what time of day or night, or how many times that door was opened. Rocket went on to a bigger flock on a farm. He's happier now.

my roo crows everytime we walk in the back yard...
roll.png

Our hens cry every time they see us- doesn't matter if we're inside the house and they see us through a window or if we're right in front of them, they'll yell for treats and attention. We have no rooster but perhaps yours is asking for treats and attention as well?

Quote:
Boy I hope that he doesn't get to the stage where he will crow at the sight of everyone! I guess Im lucky right now, because the kids come in and out all day and he doesn't do it, for right now its just me. If he does, I will also probably have to rehome him. Which would be very sad because as he is my baby! Thanks for you responses.
Sandy

Quote:
I do treat every now and again, but Honeycomb mostly always just wants to be held and cuddled. Maybe he will outgrow that behavior too. The kids won't hold him its just me, so maybe that is why he just crows at me. I just hope it doesnt become a bad habit with him, My neighbors would surely complain and I would lose him.
It was suggested to me to not respond to him when he crows and that might break that habit, I know he will crow some but maybe this will cut down on the amount of crowing? Sandy

My roo has become my best watch dog...errrr, chicken. Any vehicles coming up to the house and he crows non-stop while they are here.. We live on a very isolated farm so visitors are infrequent; thank goodness.

If one rooster bothers you, please don't be as stupid as I was.
I started with chickens 3 years ago. I bought 23 hens and 2 roos. Day old chicks that is. Everything went like clock work. I had them all in a 10' x 10' tractor I built that my wife, daughter, and myself could move pretty easy.
But I decided I wanted to get 50 roos for meat chickens.
lol.png

I set up a 50' x 50' x 6' tall fence with a good door. That should keep them in, right. Wrong.
The short time I had them in the house they learned where all three bed rooms were and they knew if we had anyone staying over in the 3rd room.
2 am they were crowing at my bedroom window. 2 am they were crowing at my dd's window. Answering each other.
It wasn't but 30+ a few bucks for the chicks, plus the feed and we ate them all, but it wasn't worth it.
I am getting ready to order some more chicks, but I am going to order 50 pullets and use what roos we get for mating with the best of the flock. But I hate roos. More than 2, be gone.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom