Rooster crowing question

kscottjoyce

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 22, 2011
Townsend
So I have a RIR rooster about 8 months old. He stared off as the quietest creature I have ever seen. He has changed in the past couple weeks and begins to crow at 4:00 a.m. and will not begin to stop until about 8:00 and then he starts to calm down a bit. He then will crow again non stop until my three hens are done laying their eggs. Just wondering if it can somehow be trained to crow less or is it just how he is and I'll have to deal with it?

either stew or just have to get use to it

tongue.png

does he get to go out of the coop early? I keep mine in the coop til around 9 and they dont crow til I let them out. I do this cause I have neighbors that I am sure would like to sleep without a rooster crowing.

my rooster never crowed until 7am, which was fine with me, but since i got my other breeder pairs him and the new rooster start up at 4am sometimes, i am NOT happy about it at all. they crow back and forth within 15 seconds of eachother for who knows how long. totally obnoxious. they do this during the day too which doesnt bother me, i actually like the sound, but not at 4am. not sure what im going to do to fix this situation, i cant get rid of my breeder rooster and hes the one who starts it
barnie.gif
i might move my pens a little further out so i dont hear them so much. i dont know what to tell you but im hoping someone might have a way to curb the behavior a bit! could you move your coop location to further away from your house??

I have read that if you keep the coop light free they will not crow, well obviously that is not true since they don't get any light at 4:00. I could move the coop to the corner of the yard (once all the snow is gone). Wish I had a way to soundproof the coop. I also just read that keeping a light on will keep the rooster up later and therefore letting it sleep later. Who knows if that is true or not.

I had a red light on 24 hours over the winter (it just burnt out this weekend...good timing) anyway, when the light was on, he and the girls would be up late and I would frequently hear him crowing at night and very very early. Now, with only a little night light on, they go to sleep early and he starts crowing when the sun comes up.

My BO used to crow at the strangest times when he first started. He also sounded like he was crowing underwater with a mouth full of marshmallows. Slowly his crow improved and he settled into a routine. But I have to say it never bothered me, I like it actually. The neighbors where a different story... but after the first summer they got used to it and now admit they look forward to hearing him in the morning.

Some roos are much more vocal than others. Nice thing about it is, if you aren't too attached yet you can eat him and try again. People are always giving away free roosters:)

Back
Top Bottom