Rooster Crowing "too" early?

JoeInPA

Songster
Aug 25, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
My Welsummer Rooster who is approximately 24 weeks old has been crowing for about a couple weeks now and at first it was just when I let them out of the coop in the morning, usually right around 7 or 8 AM, then one or two more times throughout the day.

Well he's been crowing earlier and earlier it seems. Yesterday he was crowing about 5:30 AM, this morning I heard him crowing at 4:00 AM, the sun doesn't even rise until almost 7:30 AM.

Did he maybe just see a predator (or a deer, lots of those around) or something, or can he not read a clock? Lmao :gig

Honestly the noise doesn't bother me even a bit, and legally I am allowed to have roosters. However the ordinance regarding chickens is very vague. It doesn't specifically exclude roosters but it doesn't specifically include them either. It just states that it is legal to own chickens.

And even still, there are noise ordinances and while I don't think I could get in any real trouble over it, it wouldn't take much for one of my neighbors to call Barney Fife on me.

So is this normal? Abnormal? Is he just at a hormonal age and feeling a need to squawk a lot?

Is the coop within sight of your house and room lights or your neighbor's house? When you hear your cockerel crow at 4 am, had you gotten up and turned on a light to go to the bathroom or something? Do your neighbors rise at an early hour to go to work?

Sometimes, just clicking a light on that's visible to the roo can set him off. Or trash pickup or a plane going over or a tree branch scraping against the coop or a dog barking. Things that you wouldn't even be conscious of can set off a rooster. It's just how they roll. It's why HOAs have rules against them.

Is the coop within sight of your house and room lights or your neighbor's house? When you hear your cockerel crow at 4 am, had you gotten up and turned on a light to go to the bathroom or something? Do your neighbors rise at an early hour to go to work?

Sometimes, just clicking a light on that's visible to the roo can set him off. Or trash pickup or a plane going over or a tree branch scraping against the coop or a dog barking. Things that you wouldn't even be conscious of can set off a rooster. It's just how they roll. It's why HOAs have rules against them.

The coop is within sight of my neighbor's house and driveway and our house. I hadn't gotten up but I live with 4 other people and any of them could've been awake doing something or letting one of the dogs out. Also the neighbors' have a motion light in their driveway that would be visible to the chickens if it were set off. Planes fly directly over our house all the time. We have dozens of whitetail deer constantly running through the woods in the back. We also have raccoons around but I rarely see them. I suppose it could've been any of those things.

That's practically a cuss word! We don't have no stinkin' HOA!

As long as it's normal and he's not trying to tell me something that I'm not picking up on, I'm fine with it. As I said the noise really doesn't bother me (and I'm the lightest sleeper in the house) and I really DGAS what my neighbors think. If they want to call the local police over a chicken they can knock themselves out.

Lol all good, he is doing what is normal for a fella. Welsummers are beautiful, how big is he right now?

Lol all good, he is doing what is normal for a fella. Welsummers are beautiful, how big is he right now?

He is really pretty. Bright red comb, reddish brown and shiny purplish-green feathers. Not exactly sure how big he is. He's definitely bigger than my hens. He eats like a pig but he's very lean, definitely not a porker.

This is the most recent picture I have of him. It was 2 weeks ago.

IMG_20191121_110033768_HDR.jpg

And here he is crowing last week-

He is really pretty. Bright red comb, reddish brown and shiny purplish-green feathers. Not exactly sure how big he is. He's definitely bigger than my hens. He eats like a pig but he's very lean, definitely not a porker.

This is the most recent picture I have of him. It was 2 weeks ago.

View attachment 1975135

And here he is crowing last week-

Handsome fella! Lol his crow isn't all that bad actually, and it's all normal. Always liked Welsummers but always heard they were on the smaller side. Curious how big he'll be.

Back
Top Bottom