Rooster Crowing

utefan_42

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Well, it has happened. My rooster has started to crow. We live in an urban environment, and it is probably time to find him a new home. I have a question though. He doesn't start to crow until about 8 o clock in the morning. Is that because it stays dark enough in my coop that he doesn't know it is morning yet, or do roosters just crow at different times of the day? He really is a cute little guy and I hate to see him go, but I can't have him letting the authoritys in on my rogue chicken operation.
28618_img_3975.jpg

My experience is that roosters are highly variable in their crowing, but it is possible that it's dark enough in the coop that he'll wait to crow. Some roosters don't crow much at all, and some seem to crow all the time (even in the dark). That is a beautiful roo, though. Is he a barred rock Cochin?

He is a barred cochin bantam. I bought him on may 12, but i don't know how old he was when I got him. I'm guessing that he is about 9 weeks old. I bought him and another one hoping that they were pullets. The other one is a hen, but obviously he isn't. We really like him, but we are going to have to get rid of him. I was fortunate to find a lady that has a large farm and is willing to take him.

When my EE's started crowing, it was at sun up for 10 min. Then they'd stop. Then they started crowing everytime they heard my voice day or night. Then they just crowed anytime they felt like it.

They went to a nice no kill farm. It's peaceful and a little boring in my hen house these days without the boys around to stir things up.

big_smile.png
I have some Barred Cochin babies too and my little guy is trying to crow too, it's so cute, i love it. Course I'm on a farm and don't have to worry about neighbors complaining!! These little ones are also extremely friendly!!! I love my cochins!

We live on a farm so don't have to worry as you about neighbors. I had one Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster (he was big and beautiful) but he crowed constantly all day long and started about 3:am. Unfortunately my bedroom was nearest the henhouse and he would wake me up then every day. I love to hear a rooster crow but not at 3:00am! We gave him as a gift to Amish friends and they don't seem to mind the early wake-up call. Now have a 3mo. Welsummer rooster and he is just starting to crow - kind of tentative so far, but I want Wellie babies eventually so I'll wear ear plugs to bed!

Quote:
If you have a rogue chicken operation, I would not risk it with the authorities. Keep the neighbourhood quiet! You are risking your laying hens.

Just my two cents

Cheers, ISSOLA

I live in the city with neighbors on all sides. My Australorp roo crows whenever he wakes up. Our solution....we built a "cock box" and put it in the garage. Its big enough for him to crow his heart out all night and morning and no one is the wiser. When we take him out in the morning we stick yummies in front of him so all he cares about is the food...not crowing. I have promised my neighbors fresh eggs (as soon as the girls start to lay). The neighbors are happy because the noise is taken care of and the promise of free eggs is a plus for them!

I love my roo soooooo much and it would break my heart if I have to get rid of him. I know its a possibility at some point
sad.png
. Hopefully My solution will keep him with me for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom