Rooster damage & molting

Faraday40

Free Ranging
10 Years
Aug 1, 2013
Illinois

My hens have some feather damage from a hormonal rooster - back in July. (He's no longer present)
Now some may be finally molting. They were hatched last summer, so it's their first time. Is this what molting looks like? (1st pic)

I'm more concerned with the second pic, because at times the baldness on wings looks pink (other times normal skin color). No blood or scabs. I've been checking for lice & mites and see no evidence. I've even looked at some feather shafts under the microscope. Will this hen grow feathers?

Poor girl is the lowest in pecking order & was the roo's fav. Is there some way I can color disguise the red in case it's the other hens doing it? Could she be doing it to herself? (I'm not seeing anyone plucking, so I don't know.) This one has no growing feather stubs like the top pic.

Last edited:

My hens have some feather damage from a hormonal rooster - back in July. (He's no longer present)
Now some may be finally molting. They were hatched last summer, so it's their first time. Is this what molting looks like? (1st pic)

I'm more concerned with the second pic, because at times the baldness on wings looks pink (other times normal skin color). No blood or scabs. I've been checking for lice & mites and see no evidence. I've even looked at some feather shafts under the microscope. Will this hen grow feathers?

Poor girl is the lowest in pecking order & was the roo's fav. Is there some way I can color disguise the red in case it's the other hens doing it? Could she be doing it to herself? (I'm not seeing anyone plucking, so I don't know.) This one has no growing feather stubs like the top pic.
Top one is molting.

Bottom one looks like it has a sunburn.

Back
Top Bottom