Rooster dance - dominance or mating?

nvdirtfreak

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Hello, all! My 5-month old Ameraucana rooster is starting to do the rooster dance, but I have read differing opinions on what it means. He only did it to me once, which earned him a 30-minute "time out" in the crook of my arm to remind him who's boss. However, he also does the rooster dance to the hens, but it doesn't lead to mating. In fact, usually the chosen hen runs away, then he simply does it to the next closest hen. The few times I have seen him mate, it seems to be a complete surprise to the hen. Is this dance really for mating with the hens or does my rooster think he somehow has to dominate the hens? He is the only rooster, and all of the chickens are the same age. Thanks!

I think your reaction was the appropriate one. Not that he has ever tried, but I would never tolerate my rooster doing the dance around me. Nor do I let him mate his girls in front of me. When a rooster dances around people, I believe it's a display of dominance, which is obviously not acceptable. He needs to understand that YOU are dominant over him - not the other way around.

That being said, it IS normal for him to do it around his girls, and he has the absolute right to feel that he dominates them - it's his job to lead the flock. I expect that because he is still quite young, his dancing is not too impressive with the ladies, lol. As he gets older and develops his style, they will stop running away and start squatting for him to be mated.

I must say though, if your boy's dancing is anything like my boys dancing ( a lot of sideways aeroplane zooming and feet stamping!) they sure are funny to watch! I often laugh out loud and am astonished that my girls accept his advances.

Krista

Back
Top Bottom