Rooster Decrowing

Per other people who've had this done (and the most knowledgeable vet in my area who does the surgery), it is KEY to keep them quiet and calm for several weeks, otherwise they are prone to healing in exactly the way you don't want them to and reclaiming their ability to crow, sometimes getting back up to 60% of their former volume (whereas a properly healed up roo will sound like he's coughing when he crows).

Thanks, Sustained. I meant to update a while ago. Both are still alive, fine and doing well. The young guy had a much harder time and slower recovery. They both went through a phase of "laryngitis" where they seemed to lose their speaking voices. I felt extremely guilty and upset about this, but eventually, both are "talking" again. Big Daddy has a normal speaking voice and Sonny Boy still kind of whispers.

Both of them have gone back to doing some version of a crow. Thankfully, it doesn't sound like Cock-a-doodle doo! Nor is it ear or wall piercing as before. It sounds like what the cockerels first crowing attempts sound like; sort of missing the last flourish. Loud seagull? Male pigeon in heat? Angry squirrel? Whatever. They're still with their families, and Big Daddy is still giving Sonny a nice chase first thing every morning.

I'm glad it all ended well for them
263a.png

I'm glad to have the rooster alarm system back up and running!

To those who think roosters are just good for meat or fighting, I just want to sing in praise of them.

All the roosters I have ever known to make it to that point have been good parents. Even the ones who were jerks to people were amazingly devoted to their chicks. They continue to take care of them after the hen is done with them, even into their "teen" times. They make my job easier by sending out warning calls and they always know if a hen is still out. They always let ladies dine first and will offer the tastiest morsels to the hens. Remember in most bird species the male bird takes on a significant role in the family.

If you can keep a good rooster, by all means do.

Hi everyone, i live in an area where we cannot keep Roosters as well, in San Diego. I'm looking in to the surgery but have not found a vet nearby who will do the surgery. One of my roos is two about 10 weeks old, and we're grown quite fond of him. If anyone can recommend someone who does the surgery, and is relatively close to Southern California, let me know. thanks!

Uh oh...I know I'll be in for some judgment for this but seeing there was a need to share my experiences with rooster decrowing, I decided to log my experiences and share with others.

Day 1: Notice in the mail from the cops, "You have 24 hours to deroosterize your home or face $1000 fine a day and or seizure of birds" Note the deadline was 5 days before I received the notice.

Back Story: I have been chickening for 4 years, cockadoodling for 3 years and now suddenly, it's a problem...

I have 2 roosters at this time; one is 3 years old, the other over 1 year. They are both well behaved, sweet boys who help take care of the hens and call for me if there's any trouble. They are bonded and married to several different hens, have relationships with them as sons, brothers, fathers and husbands. I know if given a choice, they would choose to stay with their hens. The operation has risks but we are talking about certain death vs. uncertain death.

Day 2: Take him to the vet on the shady part of town...This vet has had 30 years experience as a vet and at least 3 years experience decrowing. He told me there's a risk but I have my heart set on keeping my boys.

Day 3: Pick up. Hurray, they are both still alive! Boohoo they both seem to be in a lot of pain. The incision is in the front, about where the breastbone is. The younger one especially seems to have labored breathing and wheezes with every in and out breath. He eats and drinks a lot of water though. The older guy is quieter but doesn't look too happy and doesn't eat or drink. He wheezes too, but not as loudly.

They both can talk in their normal voices but I have not heard a single crow from either of them.

I'm really scared for the younger one through the night.

Day 4: More loud wheezing from the young one. Sounds like he's saying mama. All day long with every labored breath. He gets too excited when he sees a girl and I decided to bring him back in. Both boys are staying in their carriers but I let the older one stay outside. The hens are very curious about him, but one of his hens chases away the others away and keeps an eye on him.

As evening sets, and I am writing this, I can say both boys are recovering. I am sad that I am putting them through this suffering, but am hoping for the best.

That's it for now. I will continue to do updates on their health and vocal status.
Hi were did you go to to get it done have same problem

Uh oh...I know I'll be in for some judgment for this but seeing there was a need to share my experiences with rooster decrowing, I decided to log my experiences and share with others.

Day 1: Notice in the mail from the cops, "You have 24 hours to deroosterize your home or face $1000 fine a day and or seizure of birds" Note the deadline was 5 days before I received the notice.

Back Story: I have been chickening for 4 years, cockadoodling for 3 years and now suddenly, it's a problem...

I have 2 roosters at this time; one is 3 years old, the other over 1 year. They are both well behaved, sweet boys who help take care of the hens and call for me if there's any trouble. They are bonded and married to several different hens, have relationships with them as sons, brothers, fathers and husbands. I know if given a choice, they would choose to stay with their hens. The operation has risks but we are talking about certain death vs. uncertain death.

Day 2: Take him to the vet on the shady part of town...This vet has had 30 years experience as a vet and at least 3 years experience decrowing. He told me there's a risk but I have my heart set on keeping my boys.

Day 3: Pick up. Hurray, they are both still alive! Boohoo they both seem to be in a lot of pain. The incision is in the front, about where the breastbone is. The younger one especially seems to have labored breathing and wheezes with every in and out breath. He eats and drinks a lot of water though. The older guy is quieter but doesn't look too happy and doesn't eat or drink. He wheezes too, but not as loudly.

They both can talk in their normal voices but I have not heard a single crow from either of them.

I'm really scared for the younger one through the night.

Day 4: More loud wheezing from the young one. Sounds like he's saying mama. All day long with every labored breath. He gets too excited when he sees a girl and I decided to bring him back in. Both boys are staying in their carriers but I let the older one stay outside. The hens are very curious about him, but one of his hens chases away the others away and keeps an eye on him.

As evening sets, and I am writing this, I can say both boys are recovering. I am sad that I am putting them through this suffering, but am hoping for the best.

That's it for now. I will continue to do updates on their health and vocal status.

My name is Chris and i have roosters they need to be decrow we have in the same problem can't find a vet anyway the does it

Back
Top Bottom