Rooster doesn't dismount after mating and is fixated on one hen -- stew time?

Morrigan

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 9, 2014
N. California
I have an 8 month old BCM rooster. Recently, I've observed a couple of behaviors that make me wonder if he's a keeper.

First, he is laser-locked on one hen, a small EE "Gimpy" who was born with a twisted foot. He occasionally dances and courts some of other hens, but he just runs Gimpy down every chance he gets. She usually hangs out with my older rooster, Duke, and when she's with him, he leaves her alone, but as soon as she separates, he's on her. I have 12 hens, and he focuses 90% of his attentions on her. I assume its because she is easy to catch, but was hoping he would start spreading his attentions out more evenly.

Worse, when he does mate her, it's not a quick on and off. Because he's young, he's a little awkward, so there's a lot of shifting and flapping. I get that, but after he's finished, he remains standing on her, looking around, like she's a perch. I don't know how long he remains, because if I see him standing there, I walk over and shoo him off, but it's been at least 30 to 60 seconds that I've observed before I'm able to shoo him off. Is this normal for young roosters and something he is likely to outgrow?

I'm worried he is going to injure her with all his attentions and prolonged standing. She's losing feathers on her back and has stopped laying, presumably because of the stress. She is my husband's favorite chicken, and he is ready with the axe. My plan was a to replace old Duke with the BCM, but I'm second guessing that now.

Gah! I hate to have to start my replacement rooster search all over this year.

Last edited:
but sadly it is very likely that "Gimpy" will always remain a target because she is easy.

Poor Gimpy. When she came along Duke was in his prime, and he didn't need to focus on "easy" I guess, because he never over-mated her. She would probably be a target for the next rooster I raised up as well.

The BCM is tidbitting and dancing for the other hens and non-aggressive with me. I could figure out something maybe to protect Gimpy, but the prolonged standing after mating is concerning me.

He may mature out of it. I personally would remove him temporarily unless you need his services now. Many young roosters will breed what's easy.

With the increase in daylight hormones are surging and young roosters are ramping up. Sometimes I have to pen up young roosters through their first adult spring for the betterment of the hens. I generally release them after the heat of summer begins and most are much better behaved.

If he's got other qualities you like it may be worth penning him, and reassessing him later in the year. Most roosters take 2-3 years to fully mature both physically and mentally.

I'm not quite ready to pull the plug on him. He got some other very good qualities. He always lets the hens eat first, is an alert watcher and has yet to show me the slightest bit of attitude or aggression. Whether it's because he's cowed by Duke or just more laid back in general, he is not nearly as randy as many young cockerels I've had.

I spent the last two days in the yard pruning my roses and had a good amount of time to watch the flock. At one point I saw Gimpy voluntarily walk over to where "BJ" (the BCM) was dust bathing with another hen -- which was clear across the yard from where Duke was. BJ got up, watched over her while she bathed. When she got up, he danced for her, but when she walked away, he didn't force the issue. Also, she started laying again, and generally seem less fearful of BJ then before. She will still try to avoid being mated by him, but then again, she avoids Duke's attentions if she can as well.

Although BJ has been dancing up a storm for various hens, I have not caught him in the mating act in the last few days, so I don't know if he is still standing on the hens. If he is, I'm thinking about trying to create a separate area for him, as @oldhenlikesdogs suggests, to see if it is a behavior he outgrows.

I'm not quite ready to pull the plug on him. He got some other very good qualities. He always lets the hens eat first, is an alert watcher and has yet to show me the slightest bit of attitude or aggression. Whether it's because he's cowed by Duke or just more laid back in general, he is not nearly as randy as many young cockerels I've had.

I spent the last two days in the yard pruning my roses and had a good amount of time to watch the flock. At one point I saw Gimpy voluntarily walk over to where "BJ" (the BCM) was dust bathing with another hen -- which was clear across the yard from where Duke was. BJ got up, watched over her while she bathed. When she got up, he danced for her, but when she walked away, he didn't force the issue. Also, she started laying again, and generally seem less fearful of BJ then before. She will still try to avoid being mated by him, but then again, she avoids Duke's attentions if she can as well.

Although BJ has been dancing up a storm for various hens, I have not caught him in the mating act in the last few days, so I don't know if he is still standing on the hens. If he is, I'm thinking about trying to create a separate area for him, as @oldhenlikesdogs suggests, to see if it is a behavior he outgrows.
Bottom hens will often stick with the rooster for protection from the more dominant hens. It seem to be protection in exchange for mating type of thing.

Roosters also will tend to hens that are actively laying and ignore those that aren't.

I think your boy just need a few breaks here and there if he gets too vigorous. Sometimes I pen and release a rooster repeatedly. I pen them where they can still interact through a fence so they can continue to work on their wooing skills by sweet talking the hens through the fence.

I’d give him more time.....practice makes perfect, right? Just keep a close eye on Gimpy. I have a hen that my rooster prefers and she has lost some feathers around her head. She is the only one! I will make necessary adjustments if things get worse for her.

Back
Top Bottom