Rooster down....

manshack_one

Hatching
Jun 16, 2023
Our rooster was fine and dandy and then the other day when we went to coop everyone he was squatted down under the coop. Got him out and put him in coop but he has been lethargic, stumbling around, not crowing at all, not trying to eat or drink. We have given him water and food by hand for about 5 days or so at this point. Fearing flu we pulled him in today to isolate. We thought maybe crusty butt or something so he got a dose of monistat rectally. We thought maybe malnutrition so we bought and hand dosed him with Rooster Booster from tractor supply. Gave him vetRx to try and see if it was congestion of some kind. Thought maybe merricks but his feet aren't balled up. Today he sounds like something with a bad chest rattle like you were full of phlegm. Maybe it was parasites and the dewormer is working and they're breaking up? Included a video below. Any thoughts? Can't feel any blockage and isn't eating enough to fill his crop really so no sour crop.

Attachments

• 20240113_125452.jpg
    20240113_125452.jpg
    799.6 KB · Views: 52
How old is he? Can he stand up and walk? I would position him with rolled towels close to food and water. What do his poops look like? Feed and water him every couple of hours with wet chicken feed, scrambled egg, and offer dry feed as well. Is he your only rooster or could he have been injured by another? In CA, necropsies are very reasonable through your state vet, so if you should lose him, you need to get a necropsy to see what was wrong. Here is a link to contacting them:
https://cahfs.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/si...-files/BYF_StandardSubmissionForm_11-2019.pdf

How old is he? Can he stand up and walk? I would position him with rolled towels close to food and water. What do his poops look like? Feed and water him every couple of hours with wet chicken feed, scrambled egg, and offer dry feed as well. Is he your only rooster or could he have been injured by another? In CA, necropsies are very reasonable through your state vet, so if you should lose him, you need to get a necropsy to see what was wrong.
Less than a year old. He was walking when forced to a day or two ago but liked like a drunk person stumbling around falling forward. Poop was white and had the consistency of warm butter yesterday. Right now he's head down and rear up a little with labored breathing. He won't try to eat so we have been using syringe for water and dropping pellets in as best we can.

I had a video attached but it dropped when I posted. He just pooped again and the rest of the white junk came out then dark chunky diarrhea followed.

I never imagined in my life I'd be on the internet telling strangers about the color and consistency of my rooster poo. Lol

Videos have to be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. I would get him drinking some electrolyte water or sugar water to get him hydrated. A tsp of sugar in a cup of water is fine, and hold it up to his beak, dipping it in the water. Get him positioned on some rolled towels. Pictures of poop are fine to post. What is your general location? Is his comb discolored at all?

Videos have to be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. I would get him drinking some electrolyte water or sugar water to get him hydrated. A tsp of sugar in a cup of water is fine, and hold it up to his beak, dipping it in the water. Get him positioned on some rolled towels. Pictures of poop are fine to post. What is your general location? Is his comb discolored at all?
Thanks for the info. We have been giving him Rooster Booster which is the electrolyte and vitamins water mix. He won't drink on his own though. We have to hold his waddle and he'll open his beak and we just use the syringe to drop in a few cc at a time. His comb is blue tint towards the back and limp. Right now he's completely laid out and every so often picks up his head and rattles out a few breaths then lays down again. If it was a kid you'd think they were at the stage of flu where they've got high fever and are just wiped out.

Have you had any reports of avian flu in your area? He sounds very ill. I would be careful to wash hands and change clothes/shoes between him and the rest of your flock. Here is a picture showing where in the throat to give fluids with a syringe. https://unitedpeafowlassociation.org/articles/oral-medication-dosing-of-peafowl/#:~:text=Open the mouth wide and,you or down the trachea.
We had neighbors lose their flock to flu but they're a half mile away across the highway from us and none of them have been over here. I suppose that might not really stop anything.

Thanks for that link. I've just been getting the syringe in their front on their tongue basically with their head up at 45 degrees or so. I need a smaller syringe to get fluids in there that far back.

Rooster didn't make it. Hadn't eaten anything in about 4 days. Hand watered for the past two. Nothing but white poop coming out that was like Elmer's school glue at first then just liquid. Rest of the flock are looking healthy and active. I guess that's the silver lining.

Back
Top Bottom