Rooster Drama

10andcas

Hatching
Sep 30, 2020
We weren't supposed to have any roosters but they grew up and here we are with 2 (the same age). They are 28 weeks old now with 9 hens the same age (8 hens and 1 rooster 11 weeks younger.) I know for sure Stripe the rooster is a Rhode island red and I believe Goose is an easter egger rooster. Goose was the alpha rooster for a while but was never aggressive towards Stripe. But then Stripe got a little bigger and they started fighting. Usually they just peck or squawk at each other if they don't like what the other is doing. Twice now though in the past month and a half they have full blown got into a rooster fight, only when out free ranging, never inside the coop or the run. I've read they're both the most aggressive roosters which is my luck. The first time they stopped fighting on their own. The second Goose hid his head in between some logs and I went and put him in a small coop we have when we transitioned them from the brooder inside to outside before the big coop. The advice I'm looking for is 1. when do I exactly tell when they want to fight to the death 2. what age, if any, do they stop fighting like that and 3. should I get rid of one and which one do I choose if I do!? We are attached to both of them.

Last edited:
Keep one with hens. Pen other separately away from first so they cannot fight through pen. Otherwise get rid of one. I keep lots of roosters isolated from hens, sometimes for years. You can swap the roosters back and forth. Penned bird can serve as backup in event other lost.

Keep one with hens. Pen other separately away from first so they cannot fight through pen. Otherwise get rid of one. I keep lots of roosters isolated from hens, sometimes for years. You can swap the roosters back and forth. Penned bird can serve as backup in event other lost.
Wouldn't that make him depressed if hes completely isolated? They're fine when they're inside the coop and run should we just not let them free range together?

Wouldn't that make him depressed if hes completely isolated? They're fine when they're inside the coop and run should we just not let them free range together?
He will get used to it quickly. Spend a little extra time with him giving treats and something like hay to scratch through. The fights that are currently being promoted by being released are hard on both birds and can lead to serious injury or worse when they decide to fight within confines of pen.

He will get used to it quickly. Spend a little extra time with him giving treats and something like hay to scratch through. The fights that are currently being promoted by being released are hard on both birds and can lead to serious injury or worse when they decide to fight within confines of pen.
We will give it a try. I'm also worried about isolating in winter. We live in the snow belt in Western NY. We're first time chicken parents (well my husband has had chickens before) so definitely learning more as we go. Will they not ever stop? Its only been twice but I have another younger rooster to think about too.

Easter Egger should be able to handle your cold winters just fine so long as in good nutrition. You are likely to have frost bite issues on comb and wattles with the Rhode Island Red regardless. Protecting the isolated rooster can be addressed in another thread. I keep my roosters in an open field with only a wind break and cover from precipitation even during blizzard conditions. The bird outside is likely to go into spring in better feather than the one confined with a group of hens.

Back
Top Bottom