Rooster drama

Just spend time to oberve:

They will usually prefer to be near him, following him wherever he goes or come running when he calls for treats etc.

They will let him mate without fighting him or screaming.

They will want to roost near him at night.

They will run to him seeking protection from the harassing other cockerels.
@LaFleche do you think this applies even if the females are immature(not laying yet)?
@LadyAchee how old are these birds, in weeks or months?
I'm assuming they are all about 4-5 months old due to this statement:
I have 3 roosters going into maturity.

@LaFleche do you think this applies even if the females are immature(not laying yet)?

The cockerels are 5 months old, the hens are mature at 1.5 years old.
I feel like I should add that they are only 5 months old while most of my hens are 1.5 years old.

The lady I got the eggs from has like 4 roosters and they all are sweet she said.
:idunno

Don't know what to tell you.

But a good male should dance and tidbit for the girls, even when you have more than one male.

I had a coop with 3 males, I put a new girl into the coop, placed her down in front of them. None of the males tried to mount her. They were very excited and all three started to spin, dance and tidbit. She wasn't interested so walked off.... they let her.

That is how males should act.

My OG hens are 1.5. I have 2 pullets that are 7 months, and then the 3 roosters and 2 pullets are 6 months old. They all 3 tidbit and dance but if one tries to mate and the hen squawks about it the other 2 roosters run over and sometimes peck the hen while the first one mates.

I feel like I should add that they are only 5 months old while most of my hens are 1.5 years old.
I had 3 roosters, 1 I purchased (a bielefelder), along with hens as day olds. Last year 1 of my hens hatched eggs and I ended up with 2 more roosters, one was a barre rock, the other was a bielefelder cross. Two of my roosters manage to co-exist, as long as the younger rooster doesn't envade the dominate roosters comfort zone. The 3rd rooster I had to find a home for as he was very disruptive, not just with the other 2 rooster but the hens as well. I have yet to find that roosters mellow with age. The 2 rossters I now have, while not friends by any means, do co-exist and at night the roosters roost in different coops because if they roost in the same coop, all chaous breaks out at sunrise if I don't let them out in time.

Your hens and pullets don't deserve this!
Are you planning to raise chicks sired by any of these males? What are your breeding goals here? And start by eliminating any with conformation flaws, or any indication that they will be human aggressive.
Then, this is too much drama, so either house in a bachelor flock, or eliminate at least one, or two, and see how things are then.
Peace! You want peace in your flock!
Mary

While we're on the subject of Rooster Drama, my dominate Rooster is stuck on stupid :barnieMy first group of chickens I bought were all hens that I bought as pullets. We had a coop built that they used for roosting and later to lay eggs in. Following year, I purchased 13 hens and 1 rooster as day olds. When they were old enough to be outside permanently, we had a closed in yard for them. When they were old enough to be turned out and roam, they stuck to themselves as the older hens didn't allow the young ones to hangout with them. When the young ones tried entering the coop, the older hens would beat them up. So I knew we needed to build a second coop, planned on doing that anyway, just hadn't found the time to build it at that point. Long story short, the new coop got built. When the coop was done, I took away the dog house they were using. The hens weren't crazy about the idea at first, but come nightfall, they gave in and used the coop. Bubba (the Rooster) on the other hand, had a fit. Every night, just before dark I would go out to check, make sure everyone was in their coop, and every time Bubba would come running up to me squaking and yelling. I'd follow him to his yard, he'd stand where the dog house use to be and yell as if to say:" Bring back my house!" I'd have to pick him up and put him in the coop. Eventually, he got use to the coop and would go in - NOT through the hatch door, but through the window and he would roost on the window sill. It was summer, so I didn't care, and the coop and yard was totally enclosed. Now it's winter time, so late afternoon and on cold days, I keep the coop windows closed. Bubba WON'T use the hatch door! He sits in the yard and yells for me. I go out, he stands infront of me yelling and looking at the window. I put him in front of the hatch door - he won't go in, I then put him in the coop through the hatch, he comes right out. I have to either open the man door or the window to let him in!:he In the morning, he comes out the hatch door, but the darn dummy won't go in that way. No matter what I do, he won't use that hatch to enter! If you or anyone else has any idea how I can get him to use that hatch PLEASE let me know.

It's funny, really, but not for you!
How about tossing treats at the door, and into the coop? Another door? I'd bet one of the hens beat him up at that door, and he's used to you helping him in anyway.
And maybe he's not the brightest...
Mary
He's pretty smart WHEN he wants to be. He takes good care of the hens, he knows to come to the gate by our house in the afternoon to call me telling me it's time for their treats. But when it comes time to put up for the night, he gets stuck on stupid!:idunno

Back
Top Bottom