Rooster drama

Your hens and pullets don't deserve this!
Are you planning to raise chicks sired by any of these males? What are your breeding goals here? And start by eliminating any with conformation flaws, or any indication that they will be human aggressive.
Then, this is too much drama, so either house in a bachelor flock, or eliminate at least one, or two, and see how things are then.
Peace! You want peace in your flock!
Mary
Yes eventually I would like to try to breed with the male frizzle. I am currently building a new coop and want to get more hens. I have posted one of them for rehoming. I'm hopeful he can find his own flock.

Hello everyone! I have 3 roosters going into maturity. I plan on keeping 1 or 2 of them but they are rough on my hens. I know rooster mating is not always pretty but one rooster will get on a hen and the other 2 run over and peck her while the first tries to mate. I have separated the 2 bigger boys and locked them in my run. Any advice would be appreciated. If I keep them seperated will they mellow out in a couple months? Pictures of the culprits. View attachment 2901798View attachment 2901801View attachment 2901808
Beautiful roosters.💛
Sorry I have no advice. I've got 3 roos that are 19 weeks old tomorrow and I'm learning myself.

It's funny, really, but not for you!
How about tossing treats at the door, and into the coop? Another door? I'd bet one of the hens beat him up at that door, and he's used to you helping him in anyway.
And maybe he's not the brightest...
Mary
Hi Mary. Yes, I've tried putting treats inside to try and coax him to go through the hatch door. I've now even added a porch light! As to whether a hen picks on him? I doubt it, he is a pretty big guy, he just seems to have a real hang-up about using the hatch door. I don't get it. And to make it even more madding, he COMES OUT the hatch door when I open the coops in the morning! One night I refused to go out and open his window for him to try and force him to go in through the hatch. When I went out after dark to check on everyone, he wasn't in the yard OR the coop. I kept hearing a fuse coming from the other coop, so I hurried over there to see what the fuse was - Bubba (the "stuck on stupid" rooster) was in that coop! He had to go through THAT hatch door to get in. Problem was, the other rooster (a barred rock) lives in that coop, so Bubba wanted the barred rock rooster out of the coop. I picked up Bubba and took him back to his coop. At this point I've pretty much given up on argueing with him and just go out late afternoon and make sure his window is open, and then after dark I go back out check on everyone, close the window and lock the coops up for the night.:th

My OG hens are 1.5. I have 2 pullets that are 7 months, and then the 3 roosters and 2 pullets are 6 months old. They all 3 tidbit and dance but if one tries to mate and the hen squawks about it the other 2 roosters run over and sometimes peck the hen while the first one mates.
This happened with mine today one hen three 5month Roos going for her I intervened for some reason they all like her!

Back
Top Bottom