Rooster eye is gone. Please Help....

Roo L

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2016
Hi everyone, I have returned to this forum after a long time. I need your kind help about my rooster. Few days ago when I visited the coop, the rooster was standing there quietly not eating or showing any response to food. When I looked closely it had an eye gone. Now his condition is here in the picture and I don't know what to do with this. I was recommended to use rose water drops in his eye but I don't feel any improvement in it. The iris and pupil is not visible and the eyeball seems to be misplaced. Also there is white coloration and the cornea seems like an air filled bubble bulging out of the eye lid. He is constantly keeping his eye closed but is behaving normally. Please guide me what to do? I have no access to vet or medicine so if there is a home remedy it'll be great.
Thanks
IMG_20190814_162344.jpg
IMG_20190814_162448.jpg

It does look like his eye may have been pierced and ruptured. The gelatinous material is probably vitreous or part of the inside of the eye. If you cannot take him to a vet, I would use some antibiotic ointment in the eye twice a day. Are you in the US where you can get Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn from a feed store? Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment may be used. If not, saline can be used to wash any drainage from the eye. Sterile saline can be made with 1/2 tsp of water in a cup of water, boiled and brought back to room temperature. Sorry about your rooster.

I would check very carefully to make sure that is not just an inflamed second eyelid.
You need to find out if the eyeball is still there.
Below is an example of what I hope you may be looking at. This hen was fine in a few days after washing with a ph neutral eyewash and some children's eye drops administered under the eyelid.
If there is no eye ball then you need to take the chicken to a vet.
P6071565.JPG

Thank you so much everyone for your kind replies.
saline can be used to wash any drainage from the eye. Sterile saline can be made with 1/2 tsp of water in a cup of water, boiled and brought back to room temperature. Sorry about your rooster.
Eggcessive, thank you so much for your kind reply:) Is this 1/2 tsp of water or salt? Is that normal table salt? Wouldn't it cause burning sensation in eye?
Shadrach, thanks for your kind reply. How can I check of it is eyelid or the eye that is affected? He tries to open his eye and see but he does not respond to any action at that side.

Eggcessive, thank you so much for your kind reply:) Is this 1/2 tsp of water or salt? Is that normal table salt? Wouldn't it cause burning sensation in eye?
Shadrach, thanks for your kind reply. How can I check of it is eyelid or the eye that is affected? He tries to open his eye and see but he does not respond to any action at that side.
You will have to very gently pull at the top and bottom of the eye where the eyelids are connected. You just need a glimpse of the eyeball if it is there. After that you will have a much better idea of the severity of the problem. Two pairs of hands are helpful here.

My duck recently suffered a corneal scratch on her eye and she got a similar thick, white layer on top of her eyeball. When I took her for her vet checkup, the vet swabbed it away with a sterile Q tip. I think she said that it probably was a the by product of my duck's immune response. In all likelihood, your duck has suffered an injury/scratch to the eyeball.

My duck recently suffered a corneal scratch on her eye and she got a similar thick, white layer on top of her eyeball. When I took her for her vet checkup, the vet swabbed it away with a sterile Q tip. I think she said that it probably was a the by product of my duck's immune response. In all likelihood, your duck has suffered an injury/scratch to the eyeball.
If it looks like a chicken, clucks like a chicken, and walks like a chicken....... then it must be a DUCK! :idunno

Sorry, yes it is a 1/2 tsp of salt in a cup of water. Or you can make a larger amount. If you measure it correctly, the salt should not burn, and would be isotonic. If you go to a drug store or Walmart, you can also buy saline eye wash that has some other ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom