Rooster feathers on head do not appear to be growing

Marmack

Songster
7 Years
Dec 18, 2016
Bullock, NC
Our 3 year old rooster is not growing back the feathers on his head nor along the sides of his neck. He is normally very mean but is very good to his hens, this morning when he came off the roost he acted as if he was very afraid of me. Normally I do not enter the yard without a net to keep him at a distance and from attacking me. I do not see the hens picking on him, nor the new rooster who is only 6 months old and just beginning to crow. He has always been good with a second rooster who is more Beta. I thought about dusting him with diatomaceous earth.

Any suggestions would be helpful,
Thanks,
Marmack

401AC597-C33D-4017-8891-786DC5086DCB.jpeg B3EF45D2-7C32-4706-9023-AEA540F49C84.jpeg

Could he be going through his molt? How long has it been this way? Do you see any mites or lice on him? One of my roosters currently has this same look but all my birds are going through a molt. The coop looks like they had a pillow fight

Yes could be molt is tough and change the pattern bird to bird each time
The cycle of molt never stays the same
It's hard and weak time for a bird whose having rough time in molt ..

Increasing protine & vitamins is best
Especially boost diet in protine help to grow feather fast and vitamins help maintaining the rest weakness

All my older birds are in full molt now, and a couple of hens and one rooster are taking it pretty hard. The poor boy is about half bald and he used to be one of my alpha roosters with his own harem. Now that he's been feeling bad from molting, the young roos are ganging up on him and trying to drive him out, when they aren't battling for his hens. I heard someone say going thru a molt is painful, like all your 1st teeth falling out and your adult teeth all coming in at the same time, but in the case of birds, all over their bodies.
I'm awful glad we don't molt!

Thank you all, I will check for lice and increase protein. He is definitely having a difficult time and I am glad the younger rooster has a very mild temperament.

Back
Top Bottom