Rooster fight

Mar 22, 2022
Falmouth, IN
I have 2 roosters that got into a fight through a chain link fence. Obviously, one rooster faired better than the other, as usual. The rooster that has take the brunt of it is now separated to heal up. My question is at first only one was closed, a week later now the other eye is. They are not swollen, however the one was injured in the fight, the other was fine until this morning. I took a warm, wet wash cloth to it and he did eventually open it. There is no drainage from his eyes or nasal holes. Nothing like that. Just wondering what the best way to is to keep this chicken moving forward. I gave him some VetRx this morning before I left for work but looking for some more advice on treating him.

The closed eyes signal pain. Chickens are no different than we are when it comes to wanting to keep a painful eye closed.

Treatment is as follows:

Get some saline eye wash or make your own from an internet recipe.

Flush eye thoroughly with the saline to remove all dirt particles and bacteria. Do this each day until eyes have healed.

Use terramycin eye ointment, found at most feed stores or Amazon, or Neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment in the affected eyes twice a day following the flushing.

He will be back to normal within days.

Back
Top Bottom