Rooster Fight

TwoByTwo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 20, 2011
Western KY
This morning woke up to find both my roosters out and fighting. My polish roo is hurt pretty bad. He has is really bad cut up on his leg his face is all bloody and his back is missing feathers and cut up. I washed all his wounds and put neosporine on them. I there anything else I can do for him. He is a very important part of our family and we will do whatever we can but we don't have a vet anywhere around here that will treat chickens. Help please.

I've heard favorable remarks about aerosol bandage sprays like this: http://www.amazon.com/Alushield-Aer...LNXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299950828&sr=8-1 I think that infection would be the biggest threat, chickens are otherwise amazingly resiliant and can recover from really horrible injuries. Besides the antibacterial treatment, just keeping him comfortable, warm, protected, and well-nourished will do wonders.

While he heals, plan & construct new housing that will keep these roosters away from each other from now on.

So if he does get an infection what can I do for him? I have small children and have left over antibiotics. Could I give him like 1cc just in case. Or should I just wait and see how he does.

I would wait and see if it is necessary. My boys have went head to head before and bloodied themselves pretty good and no infections. Just keep the wounds clean and he should be fine. Avoid using peroxide, use just once to flush debris out, but repeated usage will kill newly formed skin cells and will take a lot longer to heal. Diluted iodine is best, to the color of weak tea. Neosporine without pain relief and bag balm are good to use. If you keep him in the house where he will not get dirt in the wounds, you will probably not even see infection. I would avoid using human antibiotics, just because I wouldn't be sure of the dose, and that you need to use specific antibiotics for specific bacteria. (You wouldn't want to use a respriatory antibiotic for a wound) If you ended up needing to use one, pen G would be what I would use, it is for wound infections.

Sounds like your doing the right thing for the wounds. I would think about maybe separating the roosters, I had 3 roosters I loved, but they couldn't get along, so we had to do the right thing for them, and give 2 away. We're friends with their new owners, and they look a lot happier since they all have their own flocks to look after.

Back
Top Bottom