Rooster Flocks!

Since they don't need nest boxes do you just give them roosting space for night time? Yup, roosters don't need nesting boxes. My roosters have a few roosts so they don't have to all sleep together.

What made you decide to keep your roosters?
I don't want them to get eaten, I feel like it's my responsibility to take care of them, they have lots of personality, they're my pets, I like them more than my hens, there are already too many unwanted roosters out there, and my chickens aren't really for eggs, they're actually more like pets to me.

I kept my roosters because I like them. I would have had three this year but I gave away two of them. One was a very nice mixed rooster but he was just too romantic. One was a little delaware mix that wasn't going to grow up to be little at all.I didn't give them away out of inconvenience I gave them away because people actually wanted them. I will undoubtedly have more roosters in the future it's always in the cards.I kept my little faverolles because i want more of them. He's a nice guy not a rooster yet he's working on it. He calls the hens for treats then runs away like a sissy. Weirdest rooster I've ever had, I really do enjoy him though. So I keep them because I just like them, they're neat. :)

I recently got another rooster, Domino, and he defeated my Alpha rooster, Griffin. I'm not sure if he'll be a good leader or not. I had hoped he would lose to Griffin, so my rooster flock would stay peaceful.

Domino is a total bully, he keeps attacking and fighting with the other roosters. Griffin won't give up and keeps fighting Domino, even though Domino has already won two times. Should I remove Domino from my rooster flock?

Domino is a total bully, he keeps attacking and fighting with the other roosters. Griffin won't give up and keeps fighting Domino, even though Domino has already won two times. Should I remove Domino from my rooster flock?
I wish I had experienced advice to offer...I'm watching to see what others say. Sounds like Griffin is a good Roo.

Update on Domino: Domino seems to have finally calmed down. I'm not going to remove him from the roo flock unless I need to. If he starts being a bully again, I will have to move him in with the hens or into a separate pen.

I've removed our four boys from the flock, but at the moment they're just in an adjacent pen from the girls, sharing a wire-mesh boundary. After reading through this thread and others, it sounds like most are keeping their bachelor pads away from the ladies. Is this the best way to keep the peace? I have plenty of space and can set them up in an old horse stable for cover and build them a little run next to it.

Two of them are just starting to crow which is very fun to watch and hear. They're starting to go a bit stir crazy with the ladies separate, so I'd like to start moving toward a solution ASAP.

Also, what's everyone feeding their roos? As they're completely separate, the logistics of giving them different diets to the ladies isn't an issue. They eat a LOT more than the pullets do too, so I'm looking for a nice cheap alternative feed that doesn't need to have all the stuff a laying hen would.

I recently got another rooster, Domino, and he defeated my Alpha rooster, Griffin. I'm not sure if he'll be a good leader or not. I had hoped he would lose to Griffin, so my rooster flock would stay peaceful.

Update on Domino: Domino seems to have finally calmed down. I'm not going to remove him from the roo flock unless I need to. If he starts being a bully again, I will have to move him in with the hens or into a separate pen.
Griffin is once again the leader of my rooster flock. He somehow defeated Domino. Domino is being bullied a little, so I'm still unsure if I should move him to a separate pen.

I've removed our four boys from the flock, but at the moment they're just in an adjacent pen from the girls, sharing a wire-mesh boundary. After reading through this thread and others, it sounds like most are keeping their bachelor pads away from the ladies. Is this the best way to keep the peace? I have plenty of space and can set them up in an old horse stable for cover and build them a little run next to it.

Two of them are just starting to crow which is very fun to watch and hear. They're starting to go a bit stir crazy with the ladies separate, so I'd like to start moving toward a solution ASAP.

Also, what's everyone feeding their roos? As they're completely separate, the logistics of giving them different diets to the ladies isn't an issue. They eat a LOT more than the pullets do too, so I'm looking for a nice cheap alternative feed that doesn't need to have all the stuff a laying hen would.
If you can give them a separate pen, it should be more peaceful. As for feeding them, I feed all my chickens flock raiser feed because layer feed can damage non-laying birds' kidneys. Other feeds that are like flock raiser are grower feed and all flock feed.

If you can give them a separate pen, it should be more peaceful. As for feeding them, I feed all my chickens flock raiser feed because layer feed can damage non-laying birds' kidneys. Other feeds that are like flock raiser are grower feed and all flock feed.

Thank you! I should be good to build them a separate enclosure this weekend. Dancer was crowing his little head off this morning getting as much practice as he can. He's getting better! If I build a roost inside a large ply box inside the old stable it should block out some of the crowing noise before the neighbours get annoyed (they're a good 100meters away and we're next to a freeway so I doubt they can hear him anyway).

As for grower/raiser feed, that won't be an issue. As my flock are cockerels and pullets, that's all they eat at the moment anyway (well, that and plenty of scraps / cut up fruit). Not any cheaper here (about $20AU for 20kg worth), but that's no biggie and puts them at about $2.50 each a week to feed.

Back
Top Bottom