Rooster Flocks!

Pics
Well, I had my first good cockerel fight. When I got outside I noticed a boy missing. I eventually saw him way off to the the side of the run hiding. So I approached and he looked at me. After leaving him be most of the day, I decided he needed food and water so took some over there. Then much later, he made his way back over towards the coop. I was in the coop when I heard major screaming and expecting to find one of my boys loose and trying to mate a hen. What I found instead was the relentless aggressor doing the same thing to the same boy (I'm guessing the biggest competition for the ladies affections). By this time (same breed raised together) I had noticed the *victim* (term used very lightly!) of course was bleeding and such but his eye was swollen shut and looked very bad. I tried to break it up, but he just kept aggressing. Well, I had enough! :mad:

So I grabbed myself a 1 inch PVC pipe so I get a good reach, 1/2 in is too bendy. I relentlessly chased and wholloped (knocked him around a little) that boy until he new I meant business, just a few minutes really until he retreated. :smack For the rest of the day no issues! I don't think I got that boy TOO good, but honestly I don't care if he ended up with a few bruises. I haven't seen them EVER give me the stink eye, but if that boy does end up staying long term (he'll be here at least a few months while I work on my next generation) I think he will know that IF he decides to challenge me it won't end well for him. :drool

So in reality I had been planning to butcher the beat up guy the next day because the other one meets the standards of my breeding program better. But I'm a softee and don't wanna kill him after a terrible day, So he lives to recover until the next time and we processed the one that needed to go next according to behavior. We don't raise mass amounts of birds and do them all in one day. We process as needed and flock dynamics OFTEN dictate who stays or goes. Needless to say the flock has developed into what it is despite which birds I initially think I will like or not. Many surprises.

Also note, just like in a dog fight the bystanders will often join in on the under dog (or bottom).. Chickens (not all) do the same thing and will join in to peck whoever is down or cornered. Sometimes to the point of death and cannibalism. This is why it's extremely important that chicks don't get cornered. When the rest hear someone screaming, they come running. Maybe as a chance to up their standing in the pecking order or possibly help to eliminate competition for resources. Some animals (one of my dogs included) will guard their resources even when there is plenty and they have never done without. Instinct maybe? One other reason I can see this happening is to keep the flock/pack strong. When a member shows signs of weakness they may be ran off or killed for various reasons. As much as I love nature.. it is BRUTAL! Helps me to be a little more compassionate to the atrocities I see from the human race. I may not like it.. but there IS a circle of life!

Incidentally (sorry for any offended) Since we didn't process that Marans boy (10 months old), we did one of the younger (16 weeks old) boys. We were waiting until they got bigger because my daughter said she had a hard time getting the innards out without enough space to get her hand in. However, the younger boy had softer pelvis making it easier to spread and he peeled so much easier. In our inexperience, previous birds took almost 2 hours to drain, skin, gut. That younger one took only 45 minutes! And only weighed about 1/2 pound less after all done but with 6 months less growth. Older ones were being grown out for breeder selection.

Aside from being a softee, another reason I didn't process the underling boy is because I didn't want the one staying to possibly get an even bigger head and start in on the younger boys in there. Dynamics are so fluid, you just never know what will happen. Sometimes you go with it, sometimes you have to change it up. Not trying to discourage anyone from keeping a rooster flock, if you can stand that much noise and don't mind feeding them long term maybe 10-12 years.. though I would be shocked to see a boy eating layer feed live that long. Anyone who feeds their boys layer (or any feed), please share how long the oldest has lived and if you had a necropsy to determine the cause of death.

Thank y'all for letting me share my experiences and the solutions that have or haven't worked for me for me so far! It's a never ending learning experience on my part. :)

I will post a pic of my boy later, I felt bad for him. :( But mind you as soon as the aggressor relented and the victim was back near the hen fence, you know where his attention went.. brown chicken, brown cow. :bun Can't remember if it was later that day or the next. But both those boys were standing together at the fence letting the hens pick at/clean their wounds! :love I will also note... I had to live with siblings and room mates in the past. And with my siblings it went to blows plenty of times with someone getting a fat lip, black eye, ripped earring holes, torn clothing. So I don't think it's JUST roosters/cockerels that have disagreements. By the time I had room mates I was plenty mature enough to know that violence doesn't solve problems. Also I guess it clues me in about how guys might fight over the affection of the ladies and try to compete by showing off who's the biggest, baddest, strongest, most flashy, has the nicest accessories or cars. And how teenagers will test their boundaries in the same way, across species I see it! :old Teen aged chickens are my least favorite I recently discovered. Chicks and older hens are best, but a GOOD rooster will be nice in the future. :pop

Will post a pic of my boy that got the worst of it. But the other guy did NOT walk away unscathed either. :(

Chickens are not completely void of feelings. I have seen one of my hens knock a cockerel off another that was screaming and after she beat that boy back I saw her ask the girl if she was OK. They do have friends and it's very sweet! :love The boys I have haven't been around long enough to truly become friends yet. But I'm sure given the chance, I will see some of that to! :D

You mentioned that roosters fed layer feed live shorter lives? I want my roosters to live as long as they can, so do you know what I can feed them instead? Thanks in advance. :)

OK so here is a pic or two. I am happy to report that it looked worse than it was (I think). After 2-3 days this guy is looking pretty good again. :)
0604171101e.jpg
0604171101h.jpg

You mentioned that roosters fed layer feed live shorter lives? I want my roosters to live as long as they can, so do you know what I can feed them instead? Thanks in advance. :)

Well, I guess this thread is indeed about keeping rooster flocks and though I don't want to head off topic, it is a relative question. So according to the info I have layer has too much calcium in it for NON laying birds and *can* (doesn't mean will) cause kidney issues in the long term. It's possibly true for chicks, juveniles, molting hens, and boys. It will obviously effect any who have been predisposed first. When I say kidney problems I am describing gout and ultimately failure. Here is a link...
http://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/186894.pdf See the asterisks at the bottom of the page. And I always have to note there is a typo that say 5-17% that I fully believe is supposed to say 15-17% inside the boxes. So it also shows different protein levels for different breeds are preferred.

Because I always have chicks, juveniles, molters/broody's, and stags/roos... I use a flock raiser (Purina) which has 20% protein for my growing chicks and my breeding hens. I provide oyster shell on the side for layers as it only has ~1% calcium. Also everybody gets the same feed, no need to worry about who isn't getting what they need. It's enough protein for the chicks but not too much to cause obesity for the adults. Also going too high in protein (like using 30% game bird feed) has been known to cause gout/kidney issues, though a different kind from calcium related. I don't think it's "perfect", but it seems to be a happy medium (for me), and it's also what's available in my area, within my price range. Incidentally, you could probably use any unmedicated starter or grower (choose your protein level) and provide OS on the side for layers. Some BYC'ers have noted the life of their stock extending by average a couple years for the boys since switching away from layer, but they also note that they are breeding for better health so it may be more than just 1 factor. I also have seen a BYC'er who did have a necropsy done with the result being as described. I can't remember the age. But as many as I raise, no reason to add extra possibilities. And with my extremely over thinking brain, I can't know it and not act when the solution is so simple. :confused:

I'm just sharing what works for me and my reasons. Plenty of people will use layer for everybody, even their chicks. :smackThough I don't think it's the best option... we all have to do what makes sense to us. :old :)

And if you have the time I highly recommend fermenting your feed. Everybody loves it and the benefits are real, plus its easy. Check the link in my signature line. It's as simple as mix feed and water wait a few days and feed it out. Questions welcome! I'm no health nut.. more like a lazy person who likes to mess around. :p And do my best with the info I have. If my info or needs change then I will adjust. :D

Yay healthy happy roosters! :ya :pop :highfive:

I need help, I have 3 roosters. 2 BOs and 1 BO/SS. The 2 BOs have been with each other fro!m day 1, and the BO/SS has been with them for a year. One problem, they fight CONSTANTLY! I mean like fight to the death. Is there anything I can do to stop them from fighting? Dad says, we are going to get rid of them all. I don't want that to happen! Two days ago, one of the BOs attacked the younger BO/SS. And now the BO/SS acts like he is hurting. We gave him electrolytes in water, but he refuses to drink it. Anyway, I thought someone on here could help. The aggressive BO is probably going on Tradio tomorrow.

I really really want a rooster flock. I have thought about making a coop and run out of an old swing set. It all depends on if we end up moving next year. In the meantime, I just have to throw the roosters out in the yard so they can't bother the girls while I'm at work :wee

I need help, I have 3 roosters. 2 BOs and 1 BO/SS. The 2 BOs have been with each other fro!m day 1, and the BO/SS has been with them for a year. One problem, they fight CONSTANTLY! I mean like fight to the death. Is there anything I can do to stop them from fighting? Dad says, we are going to get rid of them all. I don't want that to happen! Two days ago, one of the BOs attacked the younger BO/SS. And now the BO/SS acts like he is hurting. We gave him electrolytes in water, but he refuses to drink it. Anyway, I thought someone on here could help. The aggressive BO is probably going on Tradio tomorrow.

That's just it, these guys aren't playing. It's not a game to them and they could fight to the death. :(

You don't give enough info to help. Do you have these boys with hens?

It's easy to get along when they are young. But they have hormones raging through them now, that say they need to fight for breeding rights. See the younger one wasn't previously a threat to the mating rights and now he is.

AS long as you disclose the issue when you put him on tradio, go for it. There will be less of a problem for now. Thing is someone will ALWAYS rules the roost. If they can work it out without killing each other, that's great. If not, you work it out for them.. beware sometimes removing one bully creates another. no room for bullies at my house. However if its a fight that returns to normal... par for the course.

Dad might be right. :confused:

Leave the electrolytes available and give him some protein. Scrambled eggs are usually enjoyed. He may just not be ready yet. My boy that got beat up (see the pic a few posts back), took a little while before he approached the food and water that I made available for him and that was after going without all day. Plus he may still be cautious if you are nearby. :fl

That's just it, these guys aren't playing. It's not a game to them and they could fight to the death. :(

You don't give enough info to help. Do you have these boys with hens?

It's easy to get along when they are young. But they have hormones raging through them now, that say they need to fight for breeding rights. See the younger one wasn't previously a threat to the mating rights and now he is.

AS long as you disclose the issue when you put him on tradio, go for it. There will be less of a problem for now. Thing is someone will ALWAYS rules the roost. If they can work it out without killing each other, that's great. If not, you work it out for them.. beware sometimes removing one bully creates another. no room for bullies at my house. However if its a fight that returns to normal... par for the course.

Dad might be right. :confused:

Leave the electrolytes available and give him some protein. Scrambled eggs are usually enjoyed. He may just not be ready yet. My boy that got beat up (see the pic a few posts back), took a little while before he approached the food and water that I made available for him and that was after going without all day. Plus he may still be cautious if you are nearby. :fl
Thank you @EggSighted4Life,

Yes, we have them with 6 hens.

Oh, OK

Already sent the email to Tradio, hope someone wants him:fl

Yea:(

All roos are separated tonight, the BO/SS is bunking with the 9-week olds (separated by a wall), one BO is in the barn, and the other one ius in the coop.

He drank some electrolytes:celebrateand is eating food!

Thanks again for your help!:)

Are all three of them bullying each other? If there's only one bully keep him with the hens and move the other 2 to a separate rooster flock.

Are all three of them bullying each other? If there's only one bully keep him with the hens and move the other 2 to a separate rooster flock.

PSHH! why reward the offender?! :smack (that's to the bully, not you ;))

That's the opposite of how I would go. The bully would be in a time out pen. Possibly even out of sight from the flock for a couple days... so when he returns he can be the one to work his way back into the pecking order.:tongue Why should the many pay for the transgressions of the one? :confused:

@ChickenCowboy02 are your boys with your girls or separated? That's way too many boys if they are together with your girls.

Also, have you read previous post about having plenty of space and visual barriers for them?

Glad he came around and started eating and drinking. Having a little experience and knowing what to approximately expect takes some of the worry out of different situation. :) With any injury or trauma for the chickens, it may take them a little while before they came down enough respond to their bodies need for nourishment. So it's important to give them a little while before giving up. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom