Rooster Flocks!

Pics
@EggSighted4Life, yes, and we have realized that. So, only the really beat up one is in there now.

Yes, and the free range most of the day.

He is still drinking and eating!:D

Sorry to be stickler about detail... some people free range in a city sized back yard and some on 10 acres. But i'm guessing since you haven't mentioned irritated neighbors that you aren't in the city?

The really beat up one is in where? With the girls.. :woot

Sorry to be stickler about detail... some people free range in a city sized back yard and some on 10 acres. But i'm guessing since you haven't mentioned irritated neighbors that you aren't in the city?

The really beat up one is in where? With the girls.. :woot
Free ranging on 14-acres of beautiful WNY:)

Yes, with the girls:)

Last edited:
PSHH! why reward the offender?! :smack (that's to the bully, not you ;))

That's the opposite of how I would go. The bully would be in a time out pen. Possibly even out of sight from the flock for a couple days... so when he returns he can be the one to work his way back into the pecking order.:tongue Why should the many pay for the transgressions of the one? :confused:

@ChickenCowboy02 are your boys with your girls or separated? That's way too many boys if they are together with your girls.

Also, have you read previous post about having plenty of space and visual barriers for them?

Glad he came around and started eating and drinking. Having a little experience and knowing what to approximately expect takes some of the worry out of different situation. :) With any injury or trauma for the chickens, it may take them a little while before they came down enough respond to their bodies need for nourishment. So it's important to give them a little while before giving up. :thumbsup

Why I suggested to keep the bully with the hens is because it sounds like there are 2 roosters that get along fine and 1 bully that bullies the other two. So, I thought that having 1 roo 6 hens is better than having 2 roos with 6 hens. So, I think (unless the other 2 roosters are really mellow) that it would be better for the hens to have 1 roo with the hens and 2 roos in a separate rooster flock.

Why I suggested to keep the bully with the hens is because it sounds like there are 2 roosters that get along fine and 1 bully that bullies the other two. So, I thought that having 1 roo 6 hens is better than having 2 roos with 6 hens. So, I think (unless the other 2 roosters are really mellow) that it would be better for the hens to have 1 roo with the hens and 2 roos in a separate rooster flock.

See, we all have different thought processes and ideas. That's what makes BYC a great community! :highfive: And when my hubby is driving me crazy... I just remember there IS a method to his madness even if it isn't immediately obvious to me. :)

I did some research on roo flocks and I just recently separated my 3 roosters from the hens because they were tearing up their back feathers the hens are now happy and so are the roosters! After they established their own pecking order in their flock of 3 they are now happily living in their own section of the coop and feild:D

I have just learned I have six roos and two pullets. They are 3 months old this week and we got our first crow this morning from one of the easter eggers whom I thought was a hen. Anyways, am heartbroken that we have to separate the flock. I knew there would be some, just not this many.

They are not fighting although they do certainly have a pecking order. By what age will I need to "find a different living situation"? When will they start harassing the hens? The two hens are at the bottom of the pecking order currently.

Also, If I have a bachelor pad for the boys, do they still crow as much? Do the crow collars stop or diminish the crowing? Thanks in advance for all the help!

Thank you for posting this!! I'm new to chickens and ended up with 5 roosters out of my straight run i have tried finding them new homes but nobody wants roosters around here. This would be great if I could keep them all because let's face it, they're all my babies lol
I'm in the same boat! It's nice to see another point of view on my rowdy crew.

I have just learned I have six roos and two pullets. They are 3 months old this week and we got our first crow this morning from one of the easter eggers whom I thought was a hen. Anyways, am heartbroken that we have to separate the flock. I knew there would be some, just not this many.

They are not fighting although they do certainly have a pecking order. By what age will I need to "find a different living situation"? When will they start harassing the hens? The two hens are at the bottom of the pecking order currently.

Also, If I have a bachelor pad for the boys, do they still crow as much? Do the crow collars stop or diminish the crowing? Thanks in advance for all the help!

I would separate the roosters now, 3 months is a good time to start a roo flock. If you want you can keep 1 roo with the hens if he doesn't over mate them.

My alpha roo is usually the only one that crows, and it's only loud when 2 crow at the same time.

My stags crow up a storm starting around 3 AM! Oddly enough, at roost time it's almost silence for many hours thereafter. It is NOT only my lead roo that crows, they just don't always do it next to each other. And they crow for lots of reasons... to compete with each other, to show the ladies how virile they are, to warn off predators, because they heard a sound, to compete with other roosters in the neighborhood that you can hardly hear. It has zero to do with the sunrise. They can actually see UV and therefor sense the sun a couple hours before it rises

Serious fights won't breakout until later when they reach some different maturing points and the lower guys decide they aren't willing to submit anymore because hormones are kicking in and they are feeling more confident about themselves. Usually after 6-9 months in mt experience.

A crow collar does diminish the loudness of the crow. It wouldn't be my personal choice. I have heard of both being successful and causing injury, so use your own judgement. Part of the reason I have roos (aside from breeding) is because it's sooo cool to hear them crow! :love Though sometimes it can get a little old.

Honestly I'm surprised they aren't already harassing the pullets. My Ameraucana and EE have tended toward the slow side of maturity though. It will happen very soon, better to make a different living situation before you're fully overwhelmed by their antics. You'll know it's started when you hear your pullets screaming.

Your ratio of cockerels to pullets is about on par with most of my straight run. It's never 50/50 for me. :confused:

Best wishes. :fl

Back
Top Bottom