rooster found killed. warning graphic pics. help?

We luckely dont have any dangerus spiders in norway
What predators do you have in Norway?
Looks like something large got him by the neck and shook to kill.
Loose dog?
...anything else probably would have carried him off to eat him,
unless you interrupted it's meal.

Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-10-14_18-29-10.png

Likely a hawk, I went out by my chickens once and a rooster was out of the pen and was fighting with a hawk. They were jumping at each other like 2 roosters. I yelled and threw something, my rooster looked at me, and the hawk got him, but then flew away. The only mark on the rooster was a tiny hole on the back of his neck where the hawk pecked him, it was really hard to find. I miss that rooster, he was the meanest thing and hated me with passion, but he was a gorgeous silver-blue bantam. We put up netting for during the day and all our chickens are closed in coops at night. We haven't lost any to predators in years.

Several years ago I had a bobcat kill 14 birds. I set traps. It didn't come back the next night but did the following night and I caught it.
View attachment 1933872
good for you... I'm extremely protective over my chickens and I absolutely become enraged when anything tries to attack them. I know there are animal life advocates that would rather choose to let my chickens die than for me to put down another animal. My chickens have the same right to live except they are MY family. I don't know if you see it the way I do but I'm happy that you got your retribution

There are many chicken predators in Norway, but since the rooster was not eaten, I am learning towards dog. They do not have coyotes. They do have lynx, which may kill for sport, but much less likely than dog. A lynx may kill for sport but this time of year they are more likely to be hungry and eat the prey than a well-fed dog. And they would likely have killed the whole flock than just one. Same with weasels (and fishers, martens, etc.)--for sport, the whole flock gone, or prey eaten. Hawks or raptors usually eat at least the head--maybe it was interrupted? Fox will usually take the carcass away to bury. But the most common predator for this area to kill and leave carcass is dog.

:hugsSo sorry! I had a lab puppy show up in the yard and try to "play" with the chickens.I chased him off before he killed any but they had wet slobbers and missing feathers. I think you have a dog problem.

Do you have any dogs that run off-leash, @zybor? Some will kill for sport, and not eat their kill. Looks like your brave little rooster put up a good fight. So sorry.

Your roo looks slobbery on it's feathers between the neck and wings. I'm guessing a dog played with it. They'll carry it around, pounce on it, etc.. This can cause internal injury with bleeding out the mouth. Since the dog is only playing, they don't eat the body.
owl? hawk? bird of prey.
owl? hawk? bird of prey.

Back
Top Bottom