Rooster Genetic questian.

MamaPoult

🎶As soon as I get out here on the outskirts🎶
Premium Feather Member
Jan 20, 2024
The Woods AK
Hi guys! I have a genetic questian for you all. So a friend of mine gave me 24 chicks last june so I could raise them for meat some were their own and the others were from a friend and were full copper maran. I also hatched some of my own thinking that I would get rid of my super old rooster who was on the brink of death anyway and keep his son. Long story short his sons were not working out so I opted to keep a Copper Maran roo instead. I picked him out of the batch and named him Ty. Well now hes about 8 months old and having problems. One toe on each foot the toenail grows up and out instead of down and out. Hes always having toe infections like staff (and I do want to say I keep my coop well maintained)and his upper beak is super long therefore I'm looking at killing him because I only want his babies for egg production and to live long since I'm gonna transition into meat turkeys. Doesnt this sound like genetics? If so how does that happen? Any insite would be much appreciated, thanks.

Photos? Sounds to me like he can't trim his beak or nails, what's your setup like?
I'll have to grab pics later, hes very difficult to photo shoot🤦‍♀️. I've never had any issues like this, his sisters are totally normal. My set up is just normal straw coop with enclosed sand/gravel run. I have a metal trough feeder too.

Back
Top Bottom