1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster genetics

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by werb, Jan 7, 2015.

1. werb

werb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    Hi all I'm completely new to breeding and I have finally found a Roo who is pretty quite.
    As you can see by the picture he is black with an orange neck. He is with an all black hen and a cuckoo frizzel hen. What colours am I likley to expect from these? Thanks in advance :)
    [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It’s hard to tell for sure what genetics a chicken has just by looking so you have to make some assumptions unless you know the background of the chickens. One really huge assumption is that the genetics are pure, that there are no recessive genes hiding under dominant genes. A whole lot of times that is not true but you have to have something to go by.

The rooster looks like a Black Copper so I’ll assume he is Birchen and has gold.

The all-black hen is probably Extended Black and likely has Silver. Most all-black black breeds do. That black coloring can hide about anything under it so you can really get some surprises, but if she is pure for that black you should get solid black chicks with that rooster. It’s possible you will see some red leakage. That means you could have a few red feathers leaking through the solid black. I’d kind of expect that on the males, not so much on the females.

The cuckoo frizzle is interesting. If she and the rooster are pure, you should get black sex links. The males will be barred and have a light spot on their head when they hatch. The females should be solid black and not have that spot on the head. The way I understand the Frizzle gene it is dominant but it is a fatal gene if it pairs up. That means if both genes at that location on the chromosome are Frizzle the chick dies. Since the hen is alive it has to be split, one Frizzle gene and one not Frizzle gene. About half the offspring will get the Frizzle gene and be Frizzled. Half will not get the Frizzled gene and will have regular feathers.

So from the Cuckoo Frizzle, you will get some black frizzled pullets, some black not-frizzled pullets, some barred frizzled males, and some barred not-frizzled males.

1 person likes this.
  3. werb

werb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    What a fantastic read, thank you.

4. werb

werb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    I found out today his dad is blue with a red coller. What's dose the collar dictate in terms of passing on colours?

5. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Since is not blue (or splash) he doesn't carry the blue gene and will not make any blue babies.

Stick with Ridgerunners predictions for the chicks

6. werb

werb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2013
    Just out of interest is there any other coloured hens I could put with him to get some interesting off spring?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by