Rooster had gone blind! Please help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ariana Martinez, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Ariana Martinez

Ariana Martinez Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    I have a Rhode Island Red rooster that I've had sence he was 2 weeks old and I got him along with 2 other chickens that turned out to be one hen and one rooster which were also 2 weeks old. The other rooster he came with is now full grown and crowing and doing everything a roosters suppose to do. And the rooster I'm posting about is a lot smaller and has a small crown and has not started crowing. He is the same age as the other rooster and they bothe came from the same place. Recently Robyn has been going blind in bothe eyes, it started with one eye than it has spreader to the other. Yesterday he could see with one eye and now he can barely see at all, my bothe hens have been picking on him so I have seperation the girls away from the roosters. Idk what to do and I'm worried he will not beable to find his food or water around the coop. I really don't wanna have to put him down but if it's needed I will get it done. Please help me with this and comment any solutions that will be helpful, Thankyou!

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Check to make sure that what you are seeing is not the nictitating membrane,it is opaque in color(birds can see through it) and its purpose is to protect and moisten eye. It is possible he may have an eye infection. Keep him separate from other birds,try and wipe eyes with a warm cloth,see if you can get a look at his actual eye.

Repost with new information.

3. Ariana Martinez

Jul 9, 2013
    He's been keeping his eyes closed and the skin going over it is white in color. When he opens it his eye is kind of glassy and when you throw a hand at him he dosnt flench or move. He does bump into things and he does locate his food and water. But he does seem to notice when my white hen comes around and he's throws his wing up and turns away. Earlier he was atop of a rock about 5 inches off the ground and it seemed like he didn't know if he was high of the ground or not, so he kind of leaped off of it in a funny way. This morning his eye was kind of runny and there was a bit of blood on the bottom of one eye.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    The white skin you are referring to sounds like the nictitating membrane. Have you tried wiping eyes with warm water? You could try using an eye antibiotic ointment,i use polysporin 2 antibiotic eye ointment for sties or purchase vetericyn which is safe to use in and around eyes. See if antibiotic ointments help.

5. Ariana Martinez

Jul 9, 2013
    I wiped his eye with warm water and it seemed to help alittle he found his way up to the coop and slept on the roost. I will try the eye ointment and wipe his eye regularly and see if it helps!

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Can you please post a close up picture of the eye or eyes. This would be very helpful in helping you figure out what is happening. Is the iris blue or greying? Does the pupil look irregular shaped? A picture would be very helpful.

7. Ariana Martinez

Jul 9, 2013

I have pictures but I do not know how to post them

8. Ariana Martinez

Jul 9, 2013

One of his eyes have gone back to normal but he still cannot see out of it, and the skin going over his eye is white in color. He also had some bloody eye boogers coming out of them which I think was from my hens pecking at him

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by