Rooster Harness?

TelfTheElf

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 27, 2018
Middlesbrough, UK
Hello guys/gals
Regarding my previous thread on mites and whatever else (which actually turned out to be over mating) i have been advised to tether my rooster. Just wondering how I can do this. Can I get like a harness or something? i know where to tether him...its just how???

thanks in advance
TelfTheElf

Get yourself a metal dog kennel , I have two sizes ready for sick birds or isolation .

It’s worth the investment, remove the floor tray and they can eat grass and be safe ...

A tied up bird is not a good idea

Hello guys/gals
Regarding my previous thread on mites and whatever else (which actually turned out to be over mating) i have been advised to tether my rooster. Just wondering how I can do this. Can I get like a harness or something? i know where to tether him...its just how???

thanks in advance
TelfTheElf
You only have one rooster (cockerel?) How many hens (pullets?)
Tethering is an option if they are being overmated. Addressing housing, space and how many girls you have may be something to look at too.

As the other's stated a tethered bird can be a target for prey, so he needs to be protected and he needs a place to have some shelter during the day from the elements- he needs to be monitored and not just left there. A lot of people do tether birds for one reason or another, so it's definately doable.
You can make your own as per the article or look at online game bird supply. You have gamefowl in the UK just like we do in the US, so sourcing tethers shouldn't be that big of a problem.

yeah...i only have one rooster and 14 hens. hmm...at the moment they are in the house full time as grass is growing and i dont want the grass to be destoyed!!! so the problem of predators is reduced greatly.
thanks

yeah...i only have one rooster and 14 hens. hmm...at the moment they are in the house full time as grass is growing and i dont want the grass to be destoyed!!! so the problem of predators is reduced greatly.
thanks
Can you post photos?
You mention at the moment they are in a house (coop?), do they have a run so they have room to move around and get out of each other's space?

asdfghj.JPG

here yar!!!

How big is your run space (sq ft.)?
If you can expand their run and add some perches/places for the hens to get away from the rooster and each other, that may help with the feather loss.

A lot depends on the age and temperament of your rooster too.

You can still separate him out/tether him for a few hours a day if you wish, but you would need to be around to watch him.

Back
Top Bottom