Rooster has a broken toe nail

Marebear89

Chirping
May 23, 2023
So my rooster somehow broke one of his toe nails. He's been acting normal other than when he's standing, he'll hold his leg up. He's been walking okay though. Is there anything we need to do for him or just let it heal on its own and keep an eye on him?

Sorry I didn't get any pictures, he ran off to go crow to at his buddies.

So my rooster somehow broke one of his toe nails. He's been acting normal other than when he's standing, he'll hold his leg up. He's been walking okay though. Is there anything we need to do for him or just let it heal on its own and keep an eye on him?

Sorry I didn't get any pictures, he ran off to go crow to at his buddies.
I would keep and eye on it, and if he is starting to show discomfort or limping I would give him a foot bath to clean the wound or nail and then put a little bandage over his toe.
One of my hens got a bit of her toe and her nail cut of a while ago and that healed just fine by it self

A picture might help so we can see how badly it’s broken😊

I would keep and eye on it, and if he is starting to show discomfort or limping I would give him a foot bath to clean the wound or nail and then put a little bandage over his toe.
One of my hens got a bit of her toe and her nail cut of a while ago and that healed just fine by it self

A picture might help so we can see how badly it’s broken😊
Thank you so much and I'll see if I can get him to cooperate

This was the best I could get
20230706_072632.jpg

This was the best I could get View attachment 3567663
I don’t know if it’s blood or dirt but I think right now just keep an eye on it, if he will let you you could just clean the toe from the blood so you can get a better look at his toe and easily see if and infection where to occur.
It’s also great that the nail didn’t fall of and it will probably heal way faster😊

He has a very nice and clean foot wich is very good😊

I don’t know if it’s blood or dirt but I think right now just keep an eye on it, if he will let you you could just clean the toe from the blood so you can get a better look at his toe and easily see if and infection where to occur.
It’s also great that the nail didn’t fall of and it will probably heal way faster😊

He has a very nice and clean foot wich is very good😊
I'll see if he'll let me clean it tonight after his bedtime. He's a sweetheart but doesn't like being touched. He's our wild boy who adopted us.

I'll see if he'll let me clean it tonight after his bedtime. He's a sweetheart but doesn't like being touched. He's our wild boy who adopted us.
Yeah our rooster also likes when we keep our distance, if he doesn’t let you in wouldn’t worry too much, chickens here very fast and as long as you keep an eye on him everything should be fine😊

Back
Top Bottom