Rooster has bone sticking out of neck!

We recently rescued a stray rooster and have been looking after him. Today we noticed that there's a bone sticking out of the back of his neck, near where the wing joins the body. He doesn't seem to be in any visible pain or showing any other symptoms, and there's no blood or signs of infection. It's hidden under his neck feathers and lays flat, so we didn't see it until today when my partner was picking him up to see how he's doing (he was very skinny when we caught him, trying to see if he's put on any weight).

Anyone have any ideas? We were thinking of keeping him, but if this is a major issue we may have to surrender him so they can either put him down or treat it.

A bone sticking through the skin seems like a MAJOR issue to me, but the fact that it doesn't seem to be causing him any issues or bleeding, etc, makes me unsure.

Photos attached.
View attachment 2279566View attachment 2279567View attachment 2279569View attachment 2279570

Edit: More Photos
View attachment 2279663View attachment 2279664View attachment 2279665

I just looked up echidna, and they do in fact have quills!

We recently rescued a stray rooster and have been looking after him. Today we noticed that there's a bone sticking out of the back of his neck, near where the wing joins the body. He doesn't seem to be in any visible pain or showing any other symptoms, and there's no blood or signs of infection. It's hidden under his neck feathers and lays flat, so we didn't see it until today when my partner was picking him up to see how he's doing (he was very skinny when we caught him, trying to see if he's put on any weight).

Anyone have any ideas? We were thinking of keeping him, but if this is a major issue we may have to surrender him so they can either put him down or treat it.

A bone sticking through the skin seems like a MAJOR issue to me, but the fact that it doesn't seem to be causing him any issues or bleeding, etc, makes me unsure.

Photos attached.
View attachment 2279566View attachment 2279567View attachment 2279569View attachment 2279570

Edit: More Photos
View attachment 2279663View attachment 2279664View attachment 2279665
HOLLY POTATO! Owch. :eek:
Does it seem to hurt the roo?
Also when and where did you get the rooster? Rescue, the road, random place, or from a cruel past owner?
Edit: When did you notice this?

I'm gonna go with it being one of these:

Attachments

• Echidna Quills.jpg
    Echidna Quills.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 31
I was thinking mutated feather. But echidna quill also seems possible. I would gently feel around the base and try to feel where the hard part ends inside the body. If it's only attached through the skin then feather or quill is possible. If it goes into the muscle then it is probably a quill as a feather wouldn't do that. If it's only in the skin layers I would set about trying to remove it.

I was thinking mutated feather. But echidna quill also seems possible. I would gently feel around the base and try to feel where the hard part ends inside the body. If it's only attached through the skin then feather or quill is possible. If it goes into the muscle then it is probably a quill as a feather wouldn't do that. If it's only in the skin layers I would set about trying to remove it.

Agreed.

I just looked up echidna, and they do in fact have quills!
Oh, yeah they definitely have quills, but I'm not sure if they're barbed on the end like porcupines are. I mean I could be completely wrong, but they look like they'd stick in and then fall out rather than attach. Plus the quills are very round, but this thing is flat at the end. I'm leaning towards mutated feather. When we get a chance I'll have to try and see if it's in the skin or muscle as @ChocolateMouse suggested.

These are echidna quills: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...-85eb-f84ada481603_1400x1400.jpg?v=1563811608

Back
Top Bottom