Rooster has bone sticking out of neck!

HOLLY POTATO! Owch. :eek:
Does it seem to hurt the roo?
Also when and where did you get the rooster? Rescue, the road, random place, or from a cruel past owner?
Edit: When did you notice this?
It doesn't seem to cause him any pain at all, which is why we're so confused. We've had him a week and only noticed it this morning. He's been wandering around for at least a few months, we see him randomly in our yard, the neighbours yard, the empty lot/bush behind us. We decided to catch him and give him a home, as he seems to be a stray. If someone does own him, then from his weight he seems like he's been neglected as he was too thin.

Oh, yeah they definitely have quills, but I'm not sure if they're barbed on the end like porcupines are. I mean I could be completely wrong, but they look like they'd stick in and then fall out rather than attach. Plus the quills are very round, but this thing is flat at the end. I'm leaning towards mutated feather. When we get a chance I'll have to try and see if it's in the skin or muscle as @ChocolateMouse suggested.

These are echidna quills: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...-85eb-f84ada481603_1400x1400.jpg?v=1563811608

Maybe it grew into the skin, and that's why there's no blood? It looks like there is a scar around it.

It doesn't seem to cause him any pain at all, which is why we're so confused. We've had him a week and only noticed it this morning. He's been wandering around for at least a few months, we see him randomly in our yard, the neighbours yard, the empty lot/bush behind us. We decided to catch him and give him a home, as he seems to be a stray. If someone does own him, then from his weight he seems like he's been neglected as he was too thin.
He could of got this when he was younger. Thus explaining why it doesn't hurt and why there is no blood or inflamations. It could be a deformed feather or a spike of some creature or object and just wouldn't fall out and then when the chicken grew older the skin formed around it?

Thanks for your replies so far. When we get a chance later today or tomorrow I'll try and see just how far it's stuck into him, whether it's just in the skin or in the muscle as well. From there we can see whether we think it's safe to pull out or not.
You might need something to stop bleeding just in case like cornstarch

You might need something to stop bleeding just in case like cornstarch
Yep, before we do anything like attempting to pull it out I'll do some research and make sure we have the right things on hand, something to stop bleeding, something to wash the wound to prevent infection, etc.
Since it's not causing him any issues or pain I don't think we need to rush into anything at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom