Rooster has extremely swollen and spotted wattles

Endura2quesnel

Hatching
Jan 18, 2023
I noticed my 2 year old Americauna rooster like this 2 days ago. The wattles are extremely enlarged, pale, scaley and have black spots or sores. He is still eating and drinking fine, but is acting a little agitated because he's not feeling well.
Prior to this, he is a healthy great rooster. He got tangled in some twine about 5 days ago..and was extremely stressed out when I found him, but he recovered quickly, and didn't appear to have any cuts or lesions that I could see.
Has anyone seen this before?
All I'm finding info on is regular swollen wattles without the other symptoms.

Attachments

• 20230118_143707.jpg
    20230118_143707.jpg
    389 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230118_143644.jpg
    20230118_143644.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 8
I would expect his ear to be swollen inside and you should see crusty lesions when you pull back the ear flaps. Have you checked?

I can't say what this is, but I'd put him on an antibiotic if you have access to any. If you have any predisone, that would be immensely helpful.

It looks to me like there might be a skin cancer growing. Squamous cell carcinoma or melanoma might be possible. The neck can be a common place for squamous cell cancer. Only a vet biopsy could tell you exactly. You could try to lance the scab and see if there is any solid pus inside, or if it is just tissue that bleeds.

I would expect his ear to be swollen inside and you should see crusty lesions when you pull back the ear flaps. Have you checked?

I can't say what this is, but I'd put him on an antibiotic if you have access to any. If you have any predisone, that would be immensely helpful.
Thank you very much, I'll check this

It looks to me like there might be a skin cancer growing. Squamous cell carcinoma or melanoma might be possible. The neck can be a common place for squamous cell cancer. Only a vet biopsy could tell you exactly. You could try to lance the scab and see if there is any solid pus inside, or if it is just tissue that bleeds.
Thank you very much for your thoughts on this

How is he?

I wonder about the conditions of your coop. Can you send some pictures of the enclosure?
Hi Ya'll :frow
Welcome To BYC

The OP started this thread on Jan 18 2023 and was last online 1 day later on the 19th.
Hopefully they can come back and give us an update, but often times that is not the case.

Back
Top Bottom