Rooster has gurgling voice

Jan 25, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
My rooster has a gurgle in his voice when he makes his low, gentle, sounds. He is still crowing normally, is active, not lethargic, is eating, drinking and mating. Gets up to the perch no problem. But the voice sounds like Dracula. So far have given vitamins, raw garlic and VetRx.
There is no discharge.
Is this the beginning of pneumonia?

I looked in his throat this morning. Since I didn’t know what a healthy throat looks like, I also looked in one of the hens’ throats. They were both similar. Pale pink, and the “frills” look white. Is that worrisome?

Is he still gurgling this morning? As long as the throat is clean and no plaque clogging it, he's fine. Just keep watch on his behavior and his comb. As long as he's active and crowing and his comb is bright red, he's likely just fine.

Is he still gurgling this morning? As long as the throat is clean and no plaque clogging it, he's fine. Just keep watch on his behavior and his comb. As long as he's active and crowing and his comb is bright red, he's likely just fine.
Thanks again for replying. It mean so much much to me!
Yes, his low sounds come out in a gurgling way still this am. Otherwise his behaviour is totally normal. I had a heat lamp on for them, and he walked away fro it.
One of his hens likes to peck at his waddles and comb, until it bleeds. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. (It’s a long shot, but that about the only thing that has been different lately). I have been spraying it with woundspray every day, and blukote sometimes.

I thought of something else... the other day the rooster (Gonzalo) had a misunderstanding with my goat buck (Jeffrey). Jeffrey thought, Gonzalo was a cute doe and was flirting heavily with him, and Gonzalo thought Jeffrey was a threat to his hens. It was a cold day, I was cleaning stalls and thought they’d be ok together in the hallway for a few minutes. Gonzalo got very riled up and ended up fleeing up onto a perch. Maybe he either got hurt or strained his vocal cords then. I apologized to him later and made sure this doesn’t happen again.

Good news, Gonzalo has his normal voice back. It took 12 days, but today he sounds normal again.
Since I didn’t know what it was, and we are having such a cold spell, I gave them all garlic and poulvite in their water every day. At night I always put him in an insulated box with a heat lamp and a buddy.

Our main rooster developed a weird crow after he achieved full size and deposed our old rooster as yard boss- he goes "cock-a-doodle-dooooo(grrrrrrr)!" He ends all his calls with a mumbled growl. Every time. Every. Time. I thought it was odd because I've never heard another rooster do it. I thought maybe yours had developed the habit as well.

Our main rooster developed a weird crow after he achieved full size and deposed our old rooster as yard boss- he goes "cock-a-doodle-dooooo(grrrrrrr)!" He ends all his calls with a mumbled growl. Every time. Every. Time. I thought it was odd because I've never heard another rooster do it. I thought maybe yours had developed the habit as well.
Interesting! Sounds a little different from mine. (Incidentally, Gonzalo never did the full cock-a-doodle-doo, he crows “cock-a-dooooooo”!)
No, his gurgle was while making low, soft sounds, and eventually even his crow had a gurgle to it, but then all got better.

Back
Top Bottom