Rooster has horrible smell

I went back and edited my post. I left the *NOT* out:he I sometimes type too fast, I'm sorry for any confusion.
Do not treat the whole flock. Only treat birds that have obvious signs of illness (symptoms). So basically, this little fella is the one to treat:) You can try the Tylan50 on bread to see if he will take it. I have heard that it is bitter, so you may need to syringe it into him. This THREAD has some great tips and photos on giving oral medication.

I agree with @micstrachan don't cull at this time. IF he has a respiratory disease, your flock has already been exposed - I do realize, a lot depends on your goals, a lot of people do cull when they have respiratory illness to help prevent spread. There are other reasons to have ear infection-respiratory illness is one, ear mites, getting dirt/debris in the ear (chickens dirt bath, scratch the ear, etc. this can introduce bacteria that festers in the ear) and there is also ear canker which goes along with Canker (inside the beak). Let's do a little hoping that he has mites or he got something in the ear.

You mention that you had lice and worms - what did you treat with?

FOR VIDEO : upload to youtube or similar platform then provide us a link. The BYC upload does not work.
As of now, I think it's an ear infection. Thanks for the correction, that saves me a lot of time lol. I have a couple hens who I've now noticed have the same facial swelling, so after this guy is done, they'll probably be getting treated too. Since you mentioned the bugs, that would make a lot of sense for the cause of the infection. My birds free range so they get exposed to the elements all the time. A friend of mine mentioned that the hot, muggy weather here in fl could be a contributing factor. And both you and @micstrachan made a good point about how, if it is a disease, the whole flock probably already has it. He's my only rooster so he comes in contact with all my hens.
I've been treating his lice with poultry protecter from manna pro.
15304633455251892035472.jpg
I saw it in tractor supply and it seems to be working pretty good. I've been kind of busy so I haven't sprayed him with it every day, but every time I do, I notice a difference.
Im starting his ear treatment today but im not sure when I'll be able to go to tractor supply to get the tylan 50. Hopefully he'll be back out with his girls soon.

Forgot about this thread, so I thought I would do an update. My rooster is recovering just fine. I've been checking his ears every day, and they're still clear. I haven't had to clean them out again since the initial treatment. He's been taking tylan 50 for 2 days now, I haven't seen him yawn since I started him on the tylan. He doesnt smell and the swelling on his eyes has gone down. Here he is outside with his girls!
15308223814802007774880.jpg

Forgot about this thread, so I thought I would do an update. My rooster is recovering just fine. I've been checking his ears every day, and they're still clear. I haven't had to clean them out again since the initial treatment. He's been taking tylan 50 for 2 days now, I haven't seen him yawn since I started him on the tylan. He doesnt smell and the swelling on his eyes has gone down. Here he is outside with his girls!
View attachment 1456742
Such a handsome boy! Really glad you came back with a great update. :wee:woot

Back
Top Bottom