Rooster has laryngitis...?!!

huntsman

Songster
11 Years
Jan 8, 2010
South Africa
For the past three days my rooster (Bantam) has been listless and keeping to himself.

I noticed yesterday that he keeps opening his beak as if to crow but only the softest sound comes out. Not a full length crow but a 1/4 crow in whispers.

This morning my wife say him shaking as if having a seizure of sorts, which stopped almost immediately.

Anyone have a similar experience or perhaps some advice? Vets here have no clue about farm animals...

Your boy has a respiratory infection.
There are different antibiotics that you can purchase,Terramycin or Duramycin are available at feeds stores. A stronger antibiotic would be Tylan 50 injectable.

Last edited:
Listen closely to his breathing. Do you hear a wheeze? Is their Any mucus present? Coughing or sneezing? It is quite possible he has a respiratory illness. A good antibiotic to try would be Tylan50. Many poultry owners including myself have had great success with tylan for respiratory symptoms. Dose is large bird 1/2 cc small bird 1/4 cc given once daily for five days into the breast muscle. When they are ill a injectable such as Tylan50 is a good choice over a water soluble antibiotic because dose is more consistent and not contingent on amount drank like with water soluble antibiotic. When they are ill they tend to not drink as much and usually won't be getting a sufficient dose if water soullble antibiotic is used. Also with injectable it enters the bloodstream much faster.tylan 50 is specifically geared toward respiratory tract illnesses. You can get the tylan and syringes at your local feed store.one thing to keep in mind is if the illness is of a viral nature antibiotics won't kill a virus but they will prevent a deadly secondary infection from forming. Testing would be the only way to determine if it's viral or not. I would try the Tylan50 . It's usually very successful with respiratory illnesses. Even if the illness is viral as I mentioned it will help prevent secondary infection. In my own flock I've had great success with tylan and respiratory symptoms. I suggest you try the tylan if he's displaying signs of respiratory tract illness. I hope this is helpful and wish you the best. I would start the treatment soon because with respiratory illness it can worsen quite quickly. You might consider separating him from the flock during treatment to prevent the spreading of the illness as respiratory illness can spread rather quickly. I wish you the best. Hope he gets better soon.

Solid help - thanks!

I'll see if our feed store has Tylan 50, but I'm concerned that since we are out in Africa, we might not have the meds available to you guys. Also, I'll research those threads and arrange a complete clean out of his room.

I managed to get Terramycin / LA from Pfizer which is injectionable, but there is no mention of chickens on the packaging and on the directions sheet it states to use only for cattle, swine, sheep and goats.

Obviously there are no dosage levels indicated either...

Any ideas, pls?

I managed to get Terramycin / LA from Pfizer which is injectionable, but there is no mention of chickens on the packaging and on the directions sheet it states to use only for cattle, swine, sheep and goats.

Obviously there are no dosage levels indicated either...

Any ideas, pls?
There is a dosage B in post # 7 in this thread that should be correct. This dosage says 200mg per ml--give 200mg per kg (which means 200mg per each 2.2 lb), so make sure you know his weight since he is a bantam. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...in-tetracycline-or-oxytetracycline-injections

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom