Rooster has lost his voice..why?

CAranchgirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
One of my rooster's has completely lost his voice. When he crows all the comes out is a quiet sort of hissing sound. It has been going on for several days now. I don't really mind, since I have enough crowing going on, but I was just wondering what causes this and if he could be sick or something I should worry about. He can't really cluck either, though it comes out slightly louder than the crowing.
Thanks!

Wish I knew what caused the problem... I would make certain to spread it to my three roos that just all got put together in Rooster prison. They were being too tough on the ladies.

First one that seems to be behaving will get back in.

Dang. Frankenrooster could do with some of that. He prefers to crow in the dark.
roll.png

It is definitely nice not to have the crowing, but too bad it hasn't stopped him from chasing the hens!

However, no good if it could be a worm!! What would I give him for that? And can it pass to other chickens?

Thank you!

Quote:
Gapeworms are parasites of the respiratory system. Adult gapeworms obstruct the lumina of the trachea, bronchi and lungs. Most common in tropical areas.

Signs of gapeworms are gasping, choking, shaking of the head and inanition. Heavily infected birds usually emit a grunting sound because of the difficulty in breathing.

I've read that an infected chicken can cough up some worms, which could in fact be passed to another chicken if they were to ingest them.

Use Panacur (Fenbendazole) or Safe-Guard (Fenbendazole) for treatment of gapeworm.
FDA Animal Drugs: Safe-Guard

Let us know how your rooster is doing.

Hi, I have a rooster with a simular problem. Actually I am not sure if it is a problem, his crow just sounds hoarse. However it has sounded this way for about 10 months! Should I be worried? Will gapeworm kill him? He dosen't show any of those symptoms.

Thanks
smile.png

I have a rooster who completely lost his voice, he shows me when I go into his coop. I have 7 roosters and he was the Body Guard to Prince, my clear leader of the second generation of chickens on my little farm. So Body Guard's problems started when he hurt his foot climbing on a wood pile, he ended up with a lame leg and fell out of favor, he couldn't go around with Prince anymore. He was getting terribly bullied by one other rooster who wanted to take his place with Prince, and I ended up brining him onto my enclosed porch and had a dog crate to put him in at night or when I wasn't around. You see I am a homeopath I treated his limp successfully, for he, like all my poultry respond well to remedies, but putting him back with the flock has not been easy, he continued to get beat up and after my TLC at home, he is less of a bully. So now it is bitter cold and I have him in a greenhouse with 3 hens who were his sisters, and they have chose to stay with him. Last Saturday, I was trying to get him to crow and he showed me he has no voice--nothing come out. I am trying to treat him again with homeopathy, so will keep you posted if I have success. If anyone else has a solution, please let me know. In homeopathy, you can lose your voice from fright, anger and abuse, grief, nervousness, etc. I have to be careful not to jump to foolish conclusions and start rotating remedies, but I have stated with anger and abuse as his cause, and thus gave him Staphysagria.

One of my rooster's has completely lost his voice. When he crows all the comes out is a quiet sort of hissing sound. It has been going on for several days now. I don't really mind, since I have enough crowing going on, but I was just wondering what causes this and if he could be sick or something I should worry about. He can't really cluck either, though it comes out slightly louder than the crowing.
Thanks!
Did your rooster get his voice back?

Back
Top Bottom